We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belize City to San Ignacio - Bus or William's shuttle?

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
68 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
Belize City to San Ignacio - Bus or William's shuttle?

My friend and I are flying in to Belize City and need to get to San Ignacio. Her flight gets in at around 5:00 p.m. Is it easy/safe for two females to take a bus in the early evening to San Ignacio or is it better to pay more and take a shuttle? I'm not sure how long it would take for us to pick up luggage and then get to the bus station to buy tickets (and what time it gets dark in Belize).

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,244 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Belize City to San Ignacio - Bus or William's shuttle?

Sunset in Belize is currently about 5:20 pm, and it gets dark pretty quick.

By taxi & bus:

Get a taxi from the airport to the bus terminal (BZ$50). You should arrive at the terminal by about 6 pm or a little bit later. West-bound buses run until 9pm; about BZ$6.00 to San Ignacio. It's easy and safe.

There are about 6 transfer services. They start around BZ$175 (Eva's) and pick you up from the airport, so you save the taxi fare.

Eva's has a website, but I don't know if I'm allowed to show it on this forum.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,244 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Belize City to San Ignacio - Bus or William's shuttle?

In my previous reply, sunset should read 6:20 pm.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
170 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belize City to San Ignacio - Bus or William's shuttle?

We used Williams's shuttle and he was great! We intended to ride the bus at one point but changed our mind... they stop when they have room. That may mean you wait and I wouldn't want to be in that position even with my husband there. William was one of the safest drives we had and he takes good care of you...finding spots to stop for restrooms or drinks or snacks. It is worth it!

Belize
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Belize City to San Ignacio - Bus or William's shuttle?

Its tuff getting into San Ignacio late at night without a direct stop to your hotel. It would be your first time in Belize I assume?

So while you would look for a cost effective option, you may want to use the bus as a return option than while you arrive.

There is williams shuttle, i believe another shuttle called Belize Shuttles and Transfers and some other private transfer companies that would take you there from around $75US up.

You can google the different companies and email them to see what rates you can get before making a decision.

Just google San Ignacio shuttles or Transfers and find your options.

Happy Travels

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belize City to San Ignacio - Bus or William's shuttle?

William's Shuttle is the best deal all around. I've used him a few times, and he's personable and very safe. His site is: www.parrot-nest.com/belize_shuttle.html That way you want have to take a taxi, then a bus, then another taxi. It'll take half the time too.

It is safe to travel in the evening here.

nevada
Level Contributor
10 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belize City to San Ignacio - Bus or William's shuttle?

We used Belize shuttles and transfers. They picked us up promptly at the airport and took us in air conditioned comfort to our destination. They were professional and friendly.

Utah
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Belize City to San Ignacio - Bus or William's shuttle?

If you are thinking of using William then check with him asap because he gets busy real quickly!

8. Re: Belize City to San Ignacio - Bus or William's shuttle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2010, 05:16