We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SI Accomodations - Decisions...Decisions

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Parker, Colorado
Level Contributor
31 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
SI Accomodations - Decisions...Decisions

My wife and I are looking at trip to Belize during the first week of November 2009. We are looking at accomodations in San Ignacio that offer queen size beds, air conditioning, maybe a pool, too. We have narrowed our search down to San Ignacio Resort Hotel (don't really want to pay more than this); Cahal Pech Resort; and Midas Tropical Resort.

We would be interested in hearing pros and cons of each of our possible choices. We like the idea of the cabanas at Cahal Pech, but have seen some reviews that report that the rooms are a bit shabby, maybe even buggy. The idea of a pool is attractive, but not a deal-breaker. And being close to town, but not necessarily in the heart of San Ignacio, is appealing, since we would like to sample several of the town's restaurants. The other consideration would be the availability of a shuttle between the airport in Belize City and the resort.

For each of these locations, there are far more positive than negative reviews, which makes choosing the "right one" more difficult. Maybe one isn't all the different than the others? Most important would be a comfortable bed in a clean, cool room in a location that will provide a restful night after touring ruins, cave tubing, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SI Accomodations - Decisions...Decisions

I can only speak for the SI Resort Hotel where I have stayed. This is very comfortable, cool, quiet, clean, and has a beautiful dining deck perched amidst the trees for bird viewing. The food is not bad at all, there is a good bar. The staff are excellent, the place had just been renovated when we were there last year and we had a tour of the hotel, the honeymoon suite is gorgeous. Very high standard.

This is definitely an "in town" hotel but in a jungle setting. They have an iguana project which you should visit, and I think a medicinal plant trail too. The SI is a conventional hotel, so if you are comfort and service oriented I think you would relaly like it. My guess is the other places are a little more rustic, but Dr FeelAwesome will undoubtedly be able to shed more light.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SI Accomodations - Decisions...Decisions

Cahal Pech would be my choice. They have multiple pools, and they overlook all of Cayo. SI doesn't do it for me, but they have a great steakhouse. Midas should be much cheaper - they are closer to downtown, so you could walk everywhere. They have a lot of newer rooms. I'd suggest Midas after rereading your post. It's close, comfortable, and clean. Right price too.

They use William's Shuttles, I think, and he's the best. He, of course, can take you to any resort.

Have a great trip!

Belize
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: SI Accomodations - Decisions...Decisions

If its a pool and dont want to spend money then Cahal Pech, Pool and spend some money San Ignacio Hotel.

No pool and some improved rooms Midas. All three are close to the town with San Ignacio Hotel being the closest and then Midas.

Cahal Pech Cabanas are nice with an amazing view. SI Hotel is more hotel type with rooms than is it private cabana setting.

Several shuttles to San Ignacio from Belize.

Belize Shuttles and Transfers and Williams Shuttle are the main ones that I know of.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SI Accomodations - Decisions...Decisions

Cahal Pech offers a shuttle for $85 flat--as opposed to per person.

Parker, Colorado
Level Contributor
31 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SI Accomodations - Decisions...Decisions

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We are going to stay at Cahal Pech.

I have used the recommendations offered on TripAdvisor for several trips over the past few years, and I have not been disappointed. Reviews and comments have always been right on the money. So I think I need to look past the few less than stellar comments and go with the majority, and most seem to think that Cahal Pech is a good place at a good price.

Thanks again. Can't wait for November!

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SI Accomodations - Decisions...Decisions

You might want to reconsider...both Cahal Pech and San Ign. Resort are a considerable walk from town up a pretty significant hill. Cahal Pech is even further and it sits at the very tip top of an unpaved road. If you have a vehicle its fine, but it is walk to and from town, and after dark, I wouldn't feel safe walking it. Just returned from there, and unless you are only going to be there more than a couple of days, I would stay out of town. Nothing to do in San Ignacio, or see except for people just hanging around, and a lot of starving cats and dogs walking around. The streets are in serious need of a hose down. That said, we stayed last month at Martha's Guesthouse for nearly a week. No frills except for air, TV and internet, very clean and well run. The staff and owners also arranged some great trips for us, including Tikal. Saw a lot of the other places to stay in town, and honestly, I wouldn't stay any in town other than Martha's (this based purely on location and looks of the other establishments) Cahal Pech and San Ig. Resort looked nice except for the walking distance every time you want to get out.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,861 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SI Accomodations - Decisions...Decisions

I loved the Saturday morning open air market in San Ignacio. People selling everything from orchids to furniture. Lots of great looking produce. Also, several interesting looking little stands for food.

We stayed at San Ignacio Resort Hotel. No complaints, but it seemed fairly generic. We did walk up to Cahal Pech one day. Very steep hill, and, I agree with the previous poster, I wouldn't walk there at night. I bet a cab wouldn't cost much though.

I decided after that trip that if/when we return to the area, we'll either stay at one of the true jungle lodges, or right in town at Martha's.

8. Re: SI Accomodations - Decisions...Decisions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2010, 05:17