We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have you stayed at Duplooys recently??

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Have you stayed at Duplooys recently??

We have booked the big trip to Belize for ourselves. We booked at Duplooys for an August stay and I've just read two scathing reviews from a June visit. Usually, when there is the odd bad review I just chalk it up to bad chemistry with the inn keepers or something. Or, there is a comment from the owner posted right away trying to rectify a tricky situation. There was nothing in this case. I just wondered if anyone else has stayed there in the last couple of months and if everything was okay.

Thanks for any help.

C.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
880 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have you stayed at Duplooys recently??

Hi, My husband and I stayed for 4 nights, Marcy 31-April 4. It was terrific in every way -- the accommodations, the guides and other services, the location --we just loved it. I too am baffled by the recent scathing reviews--although now I see someone else who stayed at the same time as the "anniversary from hell" author has posted their own review and called the person out as a jerk. I am a bit surprised that TripAdvisor allowed reference to another review, because I have been told that it is against policy to reference other reviews; maybe that has changed. Anyway, I would not hesitate to return to duPlooy's; we loved it! (As for the complaints about people hand-feeding the kinkajous that come to the fruit tray feeders by the bar, duPlooy's has written policy asking you NOT to do that, but most people disregard that, finding them irresistible and I never saw a staff member reprimand anyone for doing it. It appears to be behavior that is tolerated, but not encouraged.)

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have you stayed at Duplooys recently??

That is odd for them to have 2 bad reviews like that! I never give credit to people with just one post, because sometimes they have a beef, but the other critic had multiple posts. And most owners don't reply much since it keeps the thread going, from what I've noticed. I stopped by for lunch in April, and everything looked pristine. Ants are everywhere in the jungle, and are more common that most think... When one stays there, one should usually assume that cabs will try to charge a fortune to go back and forth - it's just the nature of cabbies.

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have you stayed at Duplooys recently??

As we say in Texas, "Some folks would complain if they were hung with a brand new rope".

4. Re: Have you stayed at Duplooys recently??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2010, 06:17