We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chaa creek or mahogany lodge?

home
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Chaa creek or mahogany lodge?

We are a family of four, two older teenagers, and we are trying to decide between these two properties. We know we would like air conditioning and both have. After the jungle we are going to Victoria house in ambergris. We are going in January. Any suggestions would be great.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,114 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chaa creek or mahogany lodge?

No comparison between the two. Chaa Creek is perhaps one of the finest jungle lodges of its kind in the region. The cottages has ceiling fans, not a/c. Temps in January are quite comforable. Mahogany Hill is a smaller guest house. CC is much more similiar to VH that would be MH. VH is an excellant choice, again, one of the best we have on the beach.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
224 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chaa creek or mahogany lodge?

It doesn`t seem like like Katie ever wants to the newbies a chance ? Mahogany Hall is new and quite beautifully constructed. It is a true bed and breakfast. Quite a nice mansion like structire built on the Mopan River.The two are totally different environments. I am sure you will receive a more intimate experience at Mahogany Hall. Both place are very nice !

santa elena cayo...
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chaa creek or mahogany lodge?

Mahogany Hall is a newly opened, high end luxury boutique resort, just a stones throw from the river and is just a $5 taxi ride from down town San Ignacio. So if your teenagers want to party...... Either of these resorts would be a good choice.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,114 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chaa creek or mahogany lodge?

I do give many new places a chance and book them, but the poster wants a/c, which neither Chaa Creek, duPlooys, Macaw Bank nor any of the jungle lodges in Cayo have, so there was no reason to offer other suggestions for lodges w/o a/c, but to let the poster who thought CC had a/c, that it doesn't. And I think everyone would also agree that CC would be more similiar to VH than is MH. Jungle lodges are not all alike and hard to compare apples and oranges. But when someone is looking for a lodge in the same vein as Victoria House, few others than CC, duPlooys, Blancaneaux or Hidden Valley would make that match. Sorry I have not stopped by to see your place and will next trip to Cayo when I have time. And to MH.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chaa creek or mahogany lodge?

We stayed at both Chaa Creek and Victoria House and loved both. Chaa Creek definitely does not have a.c. though. Our cottage cabin had a big ceiling fan as well as a huge plug-in fan that we put by our bed. We loved it there. The cabins do get warm during the day but cool off at night. We loved all the hiking on the property; we did a birding hike, a nature hike, and a night hike. Their guides are excellent. It's fairly removed from things, so we ate most of our meals on the property. The food was very good. I think Mahogany Lodge looks beautiful, totally different kind of experience though.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chaa creek or mahogany lodge?

Stayed at both, and both are Awesome! If you want a/c, and to be right on the Mopan river, the MH. If you want to stay in the best jungly resort in C.A., then CC.

home
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chaa creek or mahogany lodge?

Thanks all for the info. Just to clarify; Chaa Creek does have a/c in their new spa villa - it is three bedrooms - and we just need two bedrooms. I feel we are paying extra for the additional bedroom. What is the temperature like at night in January?

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chaa creek or mahogany lodge?

The website I was doing my research on said low of 70 and high of 80 for January. Thanks for the heads up on the new spa villa having a.c. Do you know if that's the only accommodation at C.C. that has it?

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chaa creek or mahogany lodge?

Inland in January can get cold. Usually 10 or so degrees cooler than the coast. You won't need a/c unless global weirding really hits hard, and I've found that it gets cooler here every Winter. We had nights last Winter where it was in the 50's. We needed blankets instead of a/c's. But it was still perfect for shorts, of course.

lci
richomnd va
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chaa creek or mahogany lodge?

Spent a week with CC as center point for travel. We were there in July so about as hot as it will get. and ceiling fans worked just fine. Pool is great , and they are working on upgrading their wifi and other systems. Only issue is distance from town. May or may not get a taxi to drive to and from... and cost is fairly high. If you have a rental then not an issue.

We stayed in a tree top room - but only had our daughter with us. Worked out great. View was amazing of the river just below us.

If you are thinking of any Mayan site visits reply and I can make some suggestions.