We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

almost booked Black Rock but is it too far?

Tucson
5 posts
Save Topic
almost booked Black Rock but is it too far?

I loved the look and most reviews of Black Rock but am reconsidering because of the ride. It a 25 anniversary trip so want something nice (not too nice, it IS the jungle after all) so that rules out Chaa creek etc.

Anyone think that the ride is worth it just to stay at Black Rock. Does any one know if Table Rock is closer?? Feelings about Cohune Palms or Iguana Junction (they are closer to town and maybe not as upscale but sound nice).

Thank you thank you!!

Edited: 16 October 2010, 02:49
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: almost booked Black Rock but is it too far?

I'd say Iguana Junction, but I am biased for Bullet Tree Falls, especially since it's just a few minutes ride from downtown, and taxis are only $1 per person. If you stay there, be sure and do some tubing on the Mopan. It's a great ride.

If you have your own car, then you'd like the drive to BR, and could jaunt into town for food anytime you wanted. Without a car it might be a little more expensive to get to and fro. Many times people rent a car for just a few days while in Cayo since cars are cheaper, and some places don't require guides.

Tucson
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: almost booked Black Rock but is it too far?

Thanx for the quick reply!! We had planned on renting a car; are you suggesting a bus to Cayo then rent a car in Cayo?

Also: assuming that we have a car, the ride to BR is scenic but long. That is the big question?? is the ride to BR worth it, assuming we have a car?? Iguana Jx sounds very nice but not as plush. ( that is the main difference, right and closer to town). and thank you again, this is quite a hard decision!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
224 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: almost booked Black Rock but is it too far?

It looks like you would like the jungle experience without the strenuous drive. I suggest you look a bit closer at lodging on the south side of the river.

Black Rock has the jungle experience, all the others mentioned do not. It is also a long drive to the major attractions.

Happy 25th !! That is a true milestone ! Also enjoy your Belize adventure holiday !

Tucson
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: almost booked Black Rock but is it too far?

Thanks for your quick reply, what would be the name of an area or hotel on the south side (I havent seen a map with lodges so really dont know location relative to the river)!!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
224 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: almost booked Black Rock but is it too far?

The Cristo Rey area. It is convenient for Pine Ridge and San Ignacio. Lots of things to do and see in the area as well as several nice lodges.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: almost booked Black Rock but is it too far?

Renting a car for just a few days in Cayo is quite common. If you stay close to town, you don't need one, but you can do so many tours without a guide... It's all up to you whether you want to drive to BR or IJ. I really wouldn't think the ride to Cristo Rey would be that much easier than the road to BR, since many of the lodges there are past the cute little village of CR.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
224 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: almost booked Black Rock but is it too far?

The Cristo Rey area is centrally located. It is on the road to the Pine Ridge, and about 4 miles outside of San Ignacio. There is also a butterfly farm, Ejilio Panti National Park, Caracol, Rio On Pools, Rio Frio Cave, Barton Creek Cave, zip line, canoeing, horseback riding, Big Rock falls. All of these things are much easier to access from the Cristo Rey area.

Granted the lodges are past the village, but that makes them closer to many of the aforementioned attractions, and much closer than either Bullet Tree or BR.

All the best in your decision.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: almost booked Black Rock but is it too far?

Now Ron...I will agree that CR is a mile or so closer to some of those on your list -- of all attractions in Cayo, Come on!!!! You forgot Big Rocks and 1,000 foot falls somehow, haha! -- but it is so much faster to take the Georgeville road now that it's been grated and leveled extensively this year. I haven't heard of anyone taking the CR/SA road in so long, that from CR I would probably back track the few miles to the Western Highway, and take the grated road.

Although CR wasn't mentioned in the original question, it is something to think about, and it really does put the extra drive from BR, on a non-paved road, to the question once more: "Is it worth it?"

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
224 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: almost booked Black Rock but is it too far?

The Cristo Rey Road has also been graded lately and it is much more than a mile closer. You need to come out this way sometime. The whole area has really been developed.The Cristo Rey area is an excellent base for exploring the Pine Ridge and town , especially if one has a vehicle. Also note I did mention Big Rock !! While the 1000 Foot Falls is quite beautiful, I am not so sure it is worth the drive with all of the other beautiful sights in the area. I found it to be very anti climatic and while I do not discourage folks who want to see , I do not reccommend it either.

10. Re: almost booked Black Rock but is it too far?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2011, 05:17