We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Ignacio to Belize too far?

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dallas, TX
Level Contributor
27 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
San Ignacio to Belize too far?

We are diving for 4 days, staying over at Hopkins Inn. Then we want to move inland for a few days, seeing Cockscomb, maybe Pine Ridge, and a couple of Mayan ruins. I have been reading many messages and replies about places in the Cayo district, and am wondering about where to spend a few nights to hit all of those things. We will leave Dangriga and hike Cockscomb for a day, and then need lodging for a few nights.

I am trying to avoid staying in Belize City before getting on an outgoing plane, and hoping that a drive from the San Ignacio area is not going to take more than a couple of hours. We have a 12:30 midday flight, leaving from the Belize City airport. Am I OK in getting a place in the Cayo district around San Ignacio, or should I go with Belmopan or somewhere more easterly to get to airport in a timely fashion?

Anyone familiar with the driving times from these locations?

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
224 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Ignacio to Belize too far?

it is a two hour drive from San Ignacio to Belize City.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Ignacio to Belize too far?

Cockscomb is really close and accessible from Hopkins too.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Ignacio to Belize too far?

There is never a need to stay in the City, never. You can catch the 7:20am express bus, and get there way in advance, or take a shuttle to the airport. The express bus will get you to the airport, after taking a taxi, in a little over 2 hours. A normal bus with taxi will take over 3 hours.

From most places in Cayo you can access ruins and MPR. MPR is Awesome! One of the things we don monthly, and think it's the best set of sights in the country, bar none. ATM is a must too.

Have a fun time diving and exploring!

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Ignacio to Belize too far?

Quote: "We will leave Dangriga..."

------------------

Not sure why you would want to be there in the first place?

The drive from San Ignacio to the airport is quick and on good roads, however, avoid driving through Belize City by going straight in Hattieville and traveling through Burell Boom to the Northern Highway and then turn right and it will take you to the turn off to the airport.

This route is very clear on this map...

amazon.com/Belize-ITMB-International-Travel-…

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,977 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Ignacio to Belize too far?

I agree that you should be fine leaving the Cayo that morning, but I'd leave more than 4 hours before your flight (5 maybe?) to be on the safe side. We've had some strange, long security lines at that airport and road stuff can happen.

Hopkins Inn is a terrific choice and both Cockscomb and the Mayflower Site are easy day trips from there if you choose. Take strong repellent - the Cockscomb mozzies practically dragged us off when we stayed there in '03.

I guess the MPR doesn't send me like it does some folks, maybe because I live along the Columbia River in Oregon among big pines and redwoods. The MPR has regenerated a lot since the big pine die off but still just looks like a diluted version of home to me so I'm more interested in the environmental zones and cultural aspects of Belize that are like nothing I'd see here in Oregon.

If you can swing an overnighter to Tikal, go for it - it's amazing. Recommendations and photos in the 2003, 2007, and 2009 collections here:

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

We also loved the Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM) cave trip - 2009 collection or here:

www.pacztours.com/actun-tunichil-muknal.html

Both Xunantunich and Cahal Pech are nice, smaller ruins - different from each other. We're fond of the butterfly place and the lunches at the Trek Stop which is walking distance from Xunantunich.

As far as where to stay, do hit Cockscomb from Hopkins or enroute, then stay in Cayo - a great range of lodgings depending on your interests and budget. Here are links to the places we've stayed in the Cayo district, loved them all for different reasons. Let me know if I can answer questions - happy trails!

www.thetrekstop.com

www.belizecamp.com (Chaa Creek's jungly cousin)

www.aguadahotel.com

www.cavesbranch.com

6. Re: San Ignacio to Belize too far?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2011, 05:18