We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do I do firs

Belize City, Belize
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What do I do firs

We are coming to belize from 4/16 to the 4/23/2011 with my husband and 13th year old daugther

would love to experience the Cayes (snorkeling) and the jungles(mayan ruins and caving). What do I do first, the cayes or the jungle? Where do I stay and what is the best means of transportation for all this.

L

MayaWalk Tours
Caverns & Caves, Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Eco Tours, Archaeology Tours
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do I do firs

Many people do the Cayo district first, getting all the terrestrial activities out of the way, and then head to the beach, for some relaxing and water time. That way, you are closer to the airport when you leave.

Don't know your budget, but check out San Ignacio for its jungle lodges - Google 'san ignacio jungle lodge' Ambergris Caye, Caye Caulker, Placencia, and Hopkins are also worth checking out. You can bus it, or take a private shuttle. William at Belize Shuttles is the best, and you can find him on the Best of Cayo site: http://www.bestofcayo.com

Have a great family vacation!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
224 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do I do firs

I agree with good Dr. !! Inland first,it will give your skin a a chance to adapt to the sun before you get out to the islands where the sun is much stronger and more direct.

Have a great stay in Belize.

Belize City, Belize
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do I do firs

I took your advice and gooled the san ignacio jungle lodges. Table Rock looked beautiful and Parrot Nest looked different. Is there one that you would recommend that is moderately priced. ALso do you think I should rent a car from the airport and drive to the jungle lodges or would it be better to use the shuttle taxis that you recommended. Also should I take the meal plan at this lodges?

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do I do firs

I'd both those you mentioned are priced well. While the food at some lodges is amazing, you still don't want to book meal plans ahead since there are some great places to eat at in town. Why limit yourself? http://www.bestofcayo.com will list the best restaurants, and we have some great ones.

Since rental cars are so expensive, and many days you won't use them, I'd recommend just renting a car for a day or 2 in Cayo to do MPR, Caracol, and Barton Creek Cave. William at Belize Shuttles is by far the best, and he does the pick up and drop off himself instead of just hiring it out like most of the others. He's on the above link too.

See you inland!

Belize City, Belize
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do I do firs

Ok, so I land on 4/16, call William who will transport us to Table Top, don't take the meal plan and rent a car in Cayo to travel around the area. Do I book the tours with Table Top or can we do this on our own? We plan on leaving the morning of 4/20/2011. Again I assume you will recommend William to shuttle us to the pier. The 2nd part of my question is... we plan on doing the Cayes.

Should I stay on Ambergris or Caulker? Again I have a 13th year old. We do want to snorkel so is Caulker more central. Which hotel do you think I should look at? A pool would be nice since I understand swimming is difficult near shore. Also, do you recommend I take the small plane back to the airport the morning of 4/23 versus the boat ride. Our flight leaves at 1pm.

THank you so much.

Belize
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do I do firs

Check prices, but it's frequently less expensive to book your tours through the lodge where you are staying because those tours include transportation. It might look like it's cheaper if you book directly with one of the tour operators in San Ignacio, but by the time you pay to get to San Ignacio from your lodge and back again, you might end up paying more.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do I do firs

If you like a more laid back caye, then Caulker. If I was bringing the kids, Caulker most likely. I really liked Caye Caulker Condos last time we were there. They have a pool, and a roof top hangout area with hammocks.

I'd fly back just for the experience. It'll save time too, so you could hang out in the morning and get a lobster omelette.

Usually the tours are much cheaper by arranging it yourself. Sometimes almost half. Remember that most resorts also charge an extra 10% service fee, which is not a tax like the 9% and 12.5% they charge, but is just a...fee. One does have to take into consideration the cost of getting into town, but most operators will pick you up for a small surcharge at your resort. Your not far out, so I bet you'd save a lot by doing it yourself, but check to see.

8. Re: What do I do firs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2012, 05:19