We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in San Ignacio and car rental?

Idaho
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay in San Ignacio and car rental?

Would it be cheaper to stay in town San Ignacio for lodging, and go through tour operators in town for things like ATM, ruins, horseback riding, jungle hikes, etc.. and do they transport there or do I need to rent car? or stay in a place outside of San Ignacio in the more "jungle" scenery and go through the tours they offer from the lodge?

Would it be cheaper to rent a car while in San Ignacio and do more things in a day or use bus system, taxi.

Seems like the jungle lodges are pricey? any thoughts on hidden gems I don't see posted on places to stay near San Ignacio? We do plan on going to Tikal and being in Guatamala a few days, so could use trip itinerary ideas or advise on sight seeing, to do, places to stay, etc.

Thanks all.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay in San Ignacio and car rental?

Even if you stay in a jungle lodge, you are able to save a bit of money by setting up the tours yourself in town. If you stay at the closer jungle lodges, they should pick up for free. Just like hotels, there are lodges that are inexpensive, and some that are more pricey. You can rent a car for a day or 2 in Cayo, since some tours require guides, and guides have transportation. Check out http://www.bestofcayo.com for some info on SI, and a list of the amazing restaurants we have here.

How many nights do you have? There are many great sights to see.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,287 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay in San Ignacio and car rental?

Consider Macal River Jungle Camp:

www.belizecamp.com

You can canoe and hike from there and we loved the food and the jungly setting. Cost is $55/pp which includes dinner and breakfast and they have breaks for kids. You can read my description and review here on TA. It's a ways out of town but, as above, you can still shuttle (or ride the supply truck) into town if the tour folks don't want to pick you up. We used Pacz Tours for the ATM tour and were really happy with it; they offer other tours, too:

pacztours.com/actun-tunichil-muknal.html

I can also recommend a great budget place along the bus route west of town:

www.thetrekstop.com

and a great value hotel in Santa Elena, across the bridge from San Ignacio:

www.aguadahotel.com

My photos, blogs, and travelogues are below if you're interested. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Washington DC...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay in San Ignacio and car rental?

Midas in San Ignacio. The cabins are cute. The staff are great and they have a safe at the front desk. It is a simple hotel, nothing fancy. But it is clean and most have private baths. It is convenient to downtown and the restaurant serves a good breakfast.

For local tour companies, I recommend Hun Ch'ik Tours. I had a great experience with them.

Edited: 07 March 2011, 03:40
Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay in San Ignacio and car rental?

Independent tour operators in San Ignacio are going to be a lot cheaper than going through a lodge...

www.pacztours.net/tours/tikal_guatemala.html

They will pick you up at your hotel and will deliver you back afterward.

A couple of good places to stay on the edge of town are the Cahal Pech Village Resort Hotel (the cabinas) and the San Ignacio Resort Hotel (where the Queen of England stayed). You can see photos of both in this album...

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Idaho
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay in San Ignacio and car rental?

Thanks guys, your advise is appreciated

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay in San Ignacio and car rental?

Martz Farm is a hidden gem. Check out the tree houses

7. Re: where to stay in San Ignacio and car rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 23:20