We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horseback Riding Tour

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
336 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Horseback Riding Tour

We are staying at Cahal Pech resort for 4 days next spring. We own and ride horses at home so my daughter and I are very excited to experience the local equines. I hauled boots and helmets to Hawaii once which took two-thirds of a suitcase - never again. That said, safety for me and the 11-year old is a priority. Any recommendations on tour operators in the area? We need loaner helmets and horses that are well cared for - I've had some bad experiences where we knew the horses were bought cheap for tourist season and disposed of later. No good. And we will not have our own transportation when we are there.

Thanks so much!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Horseback Riding Tour

Mountain Equestrian Trails is the best horse outfit in Belize. I've ridden many of their horses, and they are well taken care of. They've come and picked me up before I had my own vehicle. We take the kids there to ride a couple of times a month now.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Horseback Riding Tour

That sounds fun DrFeelAwesome. What a great experience for you and your daughter Wegs3000.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Horseback Riding Tour

How far is this place from San Ignacio? And do they offer more than a walking trail ride? We both are also experienced riders interested !

Mentioned in this post
San Ignacio
San Ignacio
Cayo, Belize
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Horseback Riding Tour

I've been on rides with them that only experts could handle. They wouldn't allow anyone ride on that trip unless they were one with the horse. They let me go full speed for a short while. If you are experienced riders, they'll adjust it for you.

Iowa
Level Contributor
17 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Horseback Riding Tour

We are novice riders (our children are ages 8 and 10). We would like to do a full day ride at MET to Big Rock Falls, but we are wondering if this might be too much /too long of a trip. Any insight?

Thanks!

Sue

Mentioned in this post
Big Rock Falls
Big Rock Falls
88 Reviews
Cayo, Belize
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Horseback Riding Tour

FWIW the SI resort Mystic River has horses onsight. Not sure if the offer rides to visitors not staying there but FYI.

Mentioned in this post
Mystic River Resort
Mystic River Resort
756 Reviews
Negroman, Belize
belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,369 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Horseback Riding Tour

Contact MET to discuss the ride; they accomodate many first time riders and will pick a horse suitable for the rider. Fabulous day trip, beautiful ride thru jungle and into the Mtn Pine Ridge

Iowa
Level Contributor
17 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Horseback Riding Tour

Thank you!

Sue

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
87 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Horseback Riding Tour

You can check out Hanna Stables

Edited: 02 November 2012, 07:37
Mentioned in this post
Hanna Stables
Hanna Stables
242 Reviews
San Ignacio, Belize
10. Re: Horseback Riding Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 02:15