We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

atm caves - bathroom situation

Texas
Level Contributor
289 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
atm caves - bathroom situation

Hi thinking of doing this on our upcoming trip, since this is an all day tour are there any bathrooms available before the cave entrance or at the parking area?

thanks

Go To Tikal
Sightseeing Tours
Cayo Adventures
Sightseeing Tours
St Leonard's Tours
Horseback Riding Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Yaxche Adventure Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Eco Tours, Archaeology Tours, Cultural Tours
Kansas City
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: atm caves - bathroom situation

There are pit toilets at the trail head and again near the entrance of the cave. They had toilet paper and hand sanitizer. My family camps a lot so the t. p. and hand sanitizer seemed like bonuses to us. There was a family there that was totally grossed out by the toilets ... guess they were not used to "roughing it."

There are also a few changing rooms at the trail head to change into dry clothes after your cave tour. Again, primitive but beats changing behind a bush!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: atm caves - bathroom situation

probably the bus/car/van stops and you run out into the woods. whoops, there ya go.

Edited: 01 April 2012, 22:16
Belize
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: atm caves - bathroom situation

Most guides stop at a litte shop in Teakettle before driving in the access road to ATM. The toilets cost $1BZ, but they're clean and modern.

Mentioned in this post
Teakettle
Teakettle
Cayo, Belize
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
422 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: atm caves - bathroom situation

Thanks for posting this, stjohnrocks. I'm always worried about this kind of stuff too!

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
780 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: atm caves - bathroom situation

I will say that we did ATM in January. Hey, I am from the south....we know outhouses...but these were nasty. You could smell these pit toilets from a ways away and although I used them they were nastier than any outhouse I have ever been in. I almost got sick and my kids refused to use them and just went in the bushes. As the changing rooms were next to the outhouses, we did not use them either...just changed next to the cars behind a towel, which is what most people did before and after.

It is a similar situation at the picnic area near the cave entrance and people were not using the toilets, but the joke was that there were two paths away from the cleared picnic area...one for men, one for women. Of course....not everyone got this info, so you still had to "hide" a bit and not be too self conscious! It was not a real issue, unless you have problems peeing in the woods!

Just DO NOT pee in the cave water!

Texas
Level Contributor
289 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: atm caves - bathroom situation

Thanks everyone. I'm a girl and lets just say depending on girly things I may or may not go on this excursion. I'll hope for the best but the woods most definitely would not work at certain times.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: atm caves - bathroom situation

you people need to spend some time in the middle east

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: atm caves - bathroom situation

stjohnrocks, there's a lack of bathrooms on the Caracol tour as well. There are facilities at the entrance, but not inside the complex...

…photobucket.com/albums/…625.jpg

You might want to consider going to Tikal with one of the top rated tour services like PACZ...

http://www.pacztours.net/belize/tikal.html

They stop coming and going at the halfway point to let everyone buy souvenirs, drinks, snacks, and to use the faculties...

…photobucket.com/albums/…544.jpg

Then there are several good facilities inside the Tikal complex as wells places to buy drinks, etc...

…photobucket.com/albums/…543.jpg

I can't imagine anyone getting to San Ignacio with seeing Tikal!

More Belize photos...

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: atm caves - bathroom situation

Meant to say, "I can't imagine anyone getting to San Ignacio withOUT seeing Tikal!

It's truly an experience of a lifetime.

There's also a Star Wars connection...

www.worldwaterfowl.com/showthread.php?t=1537

Texas
Level Contributor
289 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: atm caves - bathroom situation

No thanks to the middle east..... Well maybe Dubai! Also, the older I get the less I'm inclined to "rough it". I do prefer toilets. I'm guessing the pit toilets aren't so bad if you happen to hit them right after they have be serviced. I've got news for all you guys, it is much harder as a girl, enough said.

Regarding Tikal, it is high on our list however we are planning to make a trip to Flores and Tikal in the next year or two since we have a family member working as an archeologist there. That is why we thought about Caracol and the ATM caves for this trip. We will see, might still do the Tikal with Pacz. It is a good alternative. The opportunity to see Caracol will probably only be this one time. Avianquest, thanks for the images!!

Edited: 15 April 2012, 17:13
Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates