We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Ignacio and Hopkins, how long for each?

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
San Ignacio and Hopkins, how long for each?

My wife, daughter (22), son (20), and myself will have a total of 9 nights in Belize this May. I am wondering how to split the nights, 4 for San Ignacio and 5 for Hopkins or the reverse. We are definitely going to Tikal for a day and also ATM and Macal in Cayo and Cockscomb, Mayflower Bocawina, and snorkeling in Hopkins. Also any comments on Trek Stop and Coconut Row (Hopkins) as places to stay.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
San Ignacio
San Ignacio
Cayo, Belize
Hopkins
Hopkins
Stann Creek, Belize
Cayo
Cayo
Belize
Coconut Row
Coconut Row
337 Reviews
Hopkins, Belize
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Ignacio and Hopkins, how long for each?

If you do SI first, then I'd spend the 5 nights there, unless you wanted an extra day in Hopkins to just relax on the beach. Sounds like you have quite a few great excursions picked out. Check out MPR and Caracol too.

Mentioned in this post
Hopkins
Hopkins
Stann Creek, Belize
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,865 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Ignacio and Hopkins, how long for each?

I'd go 5 SI and 4 Hopkins, or better still 4 and 4 with an overnight to Tikal - soooo worth the added expense and sleeping spot. If you stay in the park you can hike through the ruins in the dark and watch the sun rise above the jungle - toucans, parrots, howler and spider monkeys, wonderful. Archaeologist/naturalist Roxy Ortiz is an amazing guide: www.tikalroxy.blogspot.com

I don't know Coconut Row but have enjoyed the Trek Stop - twice for stays (2003 and 2012) and once between (2009) for lunch and a quick return to the butterfly enclosure. It's a great budget option imo. Happy trails!

Mentioned in this post
Hopkins
Hopkins
Stann Creek, Belize
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Ignacio and Hopkins, how long for each?

Thank you both (so far) for your quick responses. In my research I have seen your names and value your advice as well as others on this forum. Too much to do and see and experience and soooo little time. Nine nights... seems that the consensus is more time in Cayo and Tikal. What is MPR? And how does one do a one night stay in Guatemala from staying at Trek Stop? I had looked into staying in Flores. Is that a good option? And where? We are budget people, not resort or luxury lodges. We like to be around like minded people. Also, lying on a beach is not a goal, snorkeling and hiking are.

FYI in Hopkins: www.coconutrowbelize.com

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Cayo
Cayo
Belize
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Hopkins
Hopkins
Stann Creek, Belize
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,865 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Ignacio and Hopkins, how long for each?

MPR = Mt. Pine Ridge, an area in central Belize. To visit Guatemala from the Trek Stop you can walk to the road and flag a taxi to the border, change money if you need to, check out of Belize and into Guatemala (2 stops), and then either head by bus to Flores where you can arrange a trip the next day to Tikal or arrange for a driver to Tikal. There are 3 hotels in the park and they're spendy but worth it if you can swing it. If not, then either El Remate or Flores are within striking distance (not for sunrise tours, though).

Have you considered Caye Caulker instead of Hopkins if snorkeling is a goal? The reef is an hour or more out from Hopkins and just minutes from Caulker so the tours provide more time in the water for less money. We've loved both. Have a great trip, whatever you decide!

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Hopkins
Hopkins
Stann Creek, Belize
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,865 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Ignacio and Hopkins, how long for each?

Coconut Row website is lovely - not a budget option, though! Have you considered Hopkins Inn? It was pretty much perfect for us. I didn't recommend it before because it's not a budget option, either. Great value, though!

www.hopkinsinn.com

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Ignacio and Hopkins, how long for each?

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions. I have emailed Roxy about the Tikal tour and have contacted the folks at Hopkins Inn. We have also decided to stay 5 nights in Cayo and 4 in Hopkins.

Thanks and I'm sure that we'll talk again.

Mentioned in this post
Cayo
Cayo
Belize
Hopkins
Hopkins
Stann Creek, Belize
Hopkins Inn
Hopkins Inn
134 Reviews
Hopkins, Belize
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,865 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Ignacio and Hopkins, how long for each?

Sounds good! I hope everything falls into place for you.

Maryville, TN
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Ignacio and Hopkins, how long for each?

I also did five nights in Cayo and then 4 in Hopkins, and it was great. I went to Tikal on a day trip from Pook's Hill, and as great as Tikal was, it was too long as a day trip. I wished we would have spent the night at Tikal.

Enjoy the ATM cave. It is fantastic.

Mentioned in this post
Cayo
Cayo
Belize
Hopkins
Hopkins
Stann Creek, Belize
9. Re: San Ignacio and Hopkins, how long for each?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 01:16