We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Week in San Ignacio

Berkeley, California
7 posts
Save Topic
1 Week in San Ignacio

My wife and I will be spending a week in San Ignacio at the Maya Mountain Lodge. Is there enough to do in the area to keep us busy for a week? Also, is it easy for day trips to any of the beaches? Any tips or recommendations would be great. We're also looking for a, relatively, inexpensive way to get to and from San Ignacio from the airport in Belize City.

Thanks!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Week in San Ignacio

There is enough, although I'd still spend a couple of days on the beach. No day trips really, but if you rent a car for 2 days, you could drive down to Placencia and stay there one night. Bus is the cheapest way to get to Cayo, and then you'll need a taxi to get the last few miles to MML.

Have a great trip!

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Week in San Ignacio

Hi Gamez32,

When will you be staying at MML? I'll be there over the holidays for a week. If you're going during the same time, we should coordinate! =]

We booked the majority of our excursions directly through MML out of convenience and the prices were fairly similar to others. We opted out of the meal plan at MML because the full day excursions provided lunch as well. They also allow you to prepay the excursions so you dont have to carry all that cash around. MML hooked us up with a snuba trip out to the beach - full day as well. We also arranged for transportation through them. We initally wanted to save some money and take the bus, but from our research, you'd only save $10pp and you'd have to trek up a mile or so with your luggage = no fun after a full day of traveling.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
183 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Week in San Ignacio

We just spent a week in San Ignacio. We booked a lot of tours, and did all the ruins we could by ourselves-as well as some jungle hikes.

The town it self is good to explore for an hour or 2- however we were a little restless after 6 days.

To break things up a bit you may want to consider spending the night in Tikal area- our maybe the over night package to ATM? The beach really isn't doable- but for some great swimming try the Mountain Pine Ridge tour- they make stops at some great spots to take a swim.

AJ

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Week in San Ignacio

AdrenalineJunkie makes a great point about MPR. You can swim at Rio On Pools and Big Rock Falls, which are 2 of the nicest spots in the country. Rio On Pools has a great little waterfall that you can lay under for a natural massage, and you can cliff dive at Big Rock. Be sure and do all the river activities too since there are quite a few of them.

Berkeley, California
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Week in San Ignacio

Thanks for the replies and advice, everyone. I really appreciate it. I'll be there from the 18 to the 25th. The excitement is building. If a shuttle is comparable to the bus prices, then I'll likely go that route. Any other tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Week in San Ignacio

Gosh! There is so much to do here in SI. There's the Mayan Ruins, Xunantunich, Cahal Pech and Tikal though that is Guatemala but still do-able. Oh, and there's Cave-tubing, Zip-lining, ATM Cave, Caracol and just as DrFeelAwesome mentioned the Rio On Pools are exquisite! Talk about a natural massage! Though I would rather much sulk in the sun (like the iguanas do..^_^) I would take a dip just to avoid sun burn! Check out BZM they made my trip more of a...family visiting family rather than just me booking with some tour company. I do hope you enjoy SI its a wonderful little place! :)

7. Re: 1 Week in San Ignacio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 December 2012, 16:29
Seattle, Washington
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 Week in San Ignacio

I'll be there the 23rd-28th. So I'll see you there! Are you taking a mosquito net? Has anyone stayed at MML and needed one?

Berkeley, California
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 Week in San Ignacio

See you here, Angie. We've only been here 2 days and its been amazing. We did Tikal yesterday an ATM today. Wow! Definitely do both of those. We'll see how the rest of the trip pans out. Does anyone know of any solstice events tomorrow on the 21st. I'm thinking we'll take a stroll up to cahal pech. Thanks for the info everyone.

10. Re: 1 Week in San Ignacio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2013, 06:16