We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria tablets and typhoid vaccine

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
4 posts
Save Topic
Malaria tablets and typhoid vaccine

I was told that whenspendingbtie in San Ignacio one must take malaria tablets cuz of mosquitos and the typhoid vaccine. And to only eat fruit and vegtables that can be peeled. Have any of you heard of this?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,960 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria tablets and typhoid vaccine

Here's a link to what the CDC says about travel to Belize:

wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/belize.htm

They're a pretty conservative group. I travel quite often to Central America, so I do keep my typhoid vaccine up to date.

Your odds of contracting malaria are small, but, you really should speak with a physician who is qualified in travel medicine to help you decide what vaccines you should receive.

Eating only peeled fruits and vegetables is pretty standard advice when traveling to developing nations. I personally don't follow that advice, but, once again, you should speak with a physician.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,097 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria tablets and typhoid vaccine

Visitors don't HAVE to use anything. It's up to you to assess your own level of risk, and no one on an internet forum can do that.

Cases of malaria have dropped significantly over tha past few years. For the first 10 months of 2012, only 33 cases were reported in Belize (25 of those were in Stann Creek District). Prior to 2006, cases numbered over 1000 per year.

Don't forget about dengue fever. There's nothing you can take for that, so the best advice is to do your best to lower your chance of being bitten by mosquitoes (screened windows, insect repellent, long sleeves, etc).

I don't have data for typhoid.

You don't have to restrict yourself only to fruits and vegtables that can be peeled. Just be sure to wash everything. In most cities & towns, tap water is potable, but check just in case water is from a well. I wash everything no matter which country I'm in.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria tablets and typhoid vaccine

My boyfriend and I just got back yesterday from a 10 day trip, which included 2 nights at Tikal, 4 nights in San Ignacio, and 4 nights on Ambergris Caye. We've taken malaria meds for other trips, but we did not for this trip. We were surprised at how few insects we encountered anywhere on the trip.

We were careful to drink only bottled water at the beginning, but many hotels use purified water to make ice, so it's worth asking. We didn't ask but couldn't resist frozen drinks at our hotels. It's the tropics, you have to have frozen drinks!

Montreal
Level Contributor
47 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria tablets and typhoid vaccine

This thread is old, but MisterB266 where did you find the stats? Thanks!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria tablets and typhoid vaccine

MrB probably found those stats in BZ gov medical site and probably still hold true today. Malaria cases have been on the decrease for yrs. 97% of the malaria we contract here is the easier vivax. But, when outside at dusk and dawn, use some spray. Simpler than taking pills.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,097 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria tablets and typhoid vaccine

"For the first 10 months of 2012, only 33 cases were reported in Belize (25 of those were in Stann Creek District)."

Source: Channel 5 TV News report (probable source PAHO)

"Prior to 2006, cases numbered over 1000 per year."

Source: PAHO (Pan American Health Organization

Edited: 11 October 2013, 14:35
Montreal
Level Contributor
47 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria tablets and typhoid vaccine

Wow! That is quite a change. Good to know, thanks.

8. Re: Malaria tablets and typhoid vaccine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2014, 05:16