We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cave Tours?

Santa Barbara, Ca
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cave Tours?

Staying at Chaa Creek and wondering what would be the better of the two tours; either the Barton creek 1/2 day on canoe or the full day Caves branch on tubes?

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,369 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cave Tours?

I would prefer Barton Creek combined with Mtn Pine Ridge

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cave Tours?

Both are very different experiences.

Barton Creek is more about exploration. You'll canoe into the caves and discover massive stalactite formations, Maya pottery shards and human bones/skull from ancient sacrifices.

Caves branch is more touristy IMO. If you hit it at the wrong time you can be on the river with a bunch of cruise tourists making a racket. If you decide to visit, go early in the morning to avoid this issue. The tour includes walking down a gravel path, plopping into an inner tube and floating down a lazy river. The caves are huge caverns with smooth surfaces and one has a small waterfall. It's a neat experience, just very different than Barton Creek. If you go, I also suggest you combine the trip with the Belize Zoo given the close proximity. It will be your best chance at seeing jaguars and other native animals.

If you want the ultimate cave experience ATM cave is the most impressive I've ever seen. However, it's meant for active travelers with the ability to swim and pull yourself up on some rocks. You'll see amazing cave formations, Maya pottery and human skeletons.

Hope this helps!

Jim Bendt - owner, Travel Beyond

Mentioned in this post
The Belize Zoo
The Belize Zoo
1,641 Reviews
La Democracia, Belize
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cave Tours?

I'd probably pick something different all together, honestly, like 1 of these:

http://pacztours.net/actun-tunichil-muknal/

http://www.actunchapatadventure.blogspot.com/

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cave Tours?

Another vote for Actun Chapat. Mountain Cow Cave(aka Crystal Cave) is my favourite cave to explore.

Mentioned in this post
Crystal Cave
Crystal Cave
73 Reviews
Belmopan, Belize
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
87 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cave Tours?

Both provide you with a different adventure. It really depends on what you are looking for. Both the ATM and the Actun Chapat as sugggested before are also great suggestions that you should consider as well.

6. Re: Cave Tours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2014, 05:17