We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with my Belize itinerary!

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
364 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Help with my Belize itinerary!

My family (husband, and 5 yr old) are going to belize in March, and our flight gets in pretty late on Friday around 3:30pm. I originally wanted to fly into Placencia, but I am a little worried that if our arriving flight is late - we would miss the last flight out to Placencia at 5:00pm.

So we were thinking we can rent a car, and drive to San Ignacio. How far of a drive is it from the BZE airport to San Ignacio. Is it an easy drive for around the time we would be driving. I'm thinking by the time we go through customs, and get our car, it will be 5pm or later.

We are considering Ka'ana Boutique and the San Ignacio Resort Hotel. Since we will only be there overnight, any other suggestions on hotels.

The next morning (on Saturday) I hear that the San Ignacio Market is great. We may spend an hour to explore and eat breakfast. Since we have a car, is it advisable to drive to the market, or take a cab? Then we would like to see one of the Mayan ruins like,

Xunantunich? May as well - since we are closer then flying all the way to Placencia, and taking a tour all the way back.

Can we drive to Xunantunich from San Ignacio? We were thinking of checking out of the hotel after the saturday market, then heading to Xunantunich. How long is the drive?

Not sure how long we should spend in Xunantunich. After that, we would drive on to Placencia.

My only concern is driving to Xunantunich and leaving our luggage in the car. Is that safe, or stupid?

Does that sound like a good itinerary? or too much. Since we have a 5 yr old, we won't be able to explore and do all the cool things in Belize, like cave tubing.

Seattle
Level Contributor
364 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with my Belize itinerary!

i guess I should ask, how far of a drive is Xunantunich to Placencia or

San Ignacio to Placencia?

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
224 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with my Belize itinerary!

It is a 3-4 hour drive to Placencia from San Ignacio. The drive down the Hummingbird Highway is beautiful, and it could take you longer if you stop at the inland Blue Hole, and Saint Hermans Cave.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with my Belize itinerary!

Cayo to Placencia is around 3 hours. You can break up the trip with a stop at the Blue Hole. It's a nice drive since it covers the Hummingbird Highway.

Seattle
Level Contributor
364 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with my Belize itinerary!

How far is Xunantunich from the Ka'ana Boutique and the San Ignacio Resort Hotel? Is it advisable to drive ourselves to Xunantunich; and leave our luggage in the car?

We can't decide if we want to stay one or wo nights in San Ignacio. If we stay two nights, do you think we can fit visiting the San Ignacio market, Xunantunich, and the Belize Zoo all in one day?

Is the San Ignacio market close to these hotels?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,749 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with my Belize itinerary!

We walked from the San Ignacio Hotel to the market, but, we didn't have a five year old with us. It's not that far, but, the walk back up the hill to the hotel is long and HOT. It would be a very short drive.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with my Belize itinerary!

Xunantunich is only 10 minutes from Cayo. No need to worry about time there. There is a hand cranked ferry you'll cross going and coming. If you hit the Belize zoo on the way from BC, then the next day, if it's Saturday, you can see the market at its busiest, and have time for not just Xunantunich, but also the Iguana Conservation Project, which is located at the SIRH. It's a must with kids.

I'd recommend 2 nights in Cayo, or one night at the Belize zoo, and one night in Cayo, no, make that 2 in Cayo since there really is so much to do.

Enjoy!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with my Belize itinerary!

San Ignacio to Placencia is roughly 188 miles of highway which translates to about 3 hours to 3 and half hours drive. The Humming Bird Highway has picturesque country road scenery. Along the way you can spend an hour or two at the Blue Hole, (look out for a sign on the right side of the road that says Blue Hole).

Yes, you can drive from San Ignacio to Xunantunich. It is roughly a 15 to 20 minute drive. You also have the option of booking a tour with the hotel or with a tour company from downtown. There should also be tour guides available for hire right before you cross the ferry.

San Ignacio Resort Hotel is less than a 10 minute walk (less than a 5 minute drive) to the San Ignacio Market and Ka’ana is about a 15 minute drive from the market. You can also spend a few hours at the Cahal Pech Maya Ruins (which is about 5 to 10 minute drive from the San Ignacio Resort Hotel or a 15 minute drive from Ka’ana).

There is simply so much to do in Cayo. I would suggest you spend at least 2 days in San Ignacio visiting the San Ignacio Market, Iguana Conservation Project and Xunantunich, (and if you have time remaining, Cahal Pech Maya Ruins). Then the next day you can visit the Belize zoo and any of the activities above that you might have missed the day before.

Belize
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with my Belize itinerary!

If I may....

Arrival - pick up rental, drive to TEC, spend one night. Zoo Night tour or day tour the following morning guided by a Zookeeper including the Jaguar Encounter which your 5 year old will be very thrilled at.

Day 2 - Tour en route ( so many choices here that save you time & money since you are driving right past these locations) / Overnight in San Ignaciio

Day 3 - Xunantunich Temple & choice of combo here

Day 4 - Take a drive down the hummingbird, why not stay along here. Scenery is gorgeous and lots of tours to choose from

Day 5 - continue to Placencia for remainder of nights. Reef Snorkel, Monkey River, Zip Line, private Reef Fish & Snorkel combo

You may prefer to skip one of the additional nights inland depending on how many nights total you will be in the country.

Kim

Seattle
Level Contributor
364 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with my Belize itinerary!

Thank you, Dr. Feelawesome, and Sirh those are very helpful tips. The iguauna conservation project looks so cool - and I am sure my 5 year old would love it, but i am totally scared of lizards - all kinds. They make my skin crawl. Maybe bc I was traumatized when I was a kid when a lizard fell from the ceiling on to me. So I can't imagine tons of them on me. Just talking about it makes my skin crawl. ha!

Kim Belize - thanks so much for your pointers! If I had more time, we would definitely take our time. But we only have six nights (not include travel days). We will have to come back to Belize for more inland activities. :)

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with my Belize itinerary!

There is also a cute little butterfly farm just a couple hundred meters from the ferry at Xunantunich. Tropical Wings is the name of it.

scoop.it/t/…trekstop-and-tropical-wings

As with parking anywhere in 2013, it's a good idea to lock up the car, but bags are safe at Xunantunich and TW, by the way.