We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self trek- night jungle?

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Self trek- night jungle?

My partner and I will be staying in San Ignacio for a couple of days and would like to venture on our own without spending a lot of money. Is there a way to hike a night jungle on our own without a guide? If so, could you provide us with some great locations to check out?

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self trek- night jungle?

Can't think of anywhere you could go without a guide to show you around. I know that in Bullet Tree, Teddy(in all the guidebooks) Waight does inexpensive night walks.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self trek- night jungle?

Get a guide for night walks for the simple reason its quite easy to get lost at night-especially in a jungle you are not familiar with. Common sense. Its a jungle...

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self trek- night jungle?

There is a medicinal trail at Crystal Paradise resort, and it can be walked at night. I've done it during the day, and really liked it. They are known for having many different species of birds around CP too.

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Self trek- night jungle?

Great! Thank you for all of your tips! We will probably check out CP's medicinal trail.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self trek- night jungle?

If you want camping, over-nighting and hiking, check out Mayflower...

http://home.gci.net/~hallwg/mayflower%20bocawina/Mayflower%20Bocawina%20Page.html

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self trek- night jungle?

It is a guided tour but totally worth the price do to the Belize Zoo night tour.

We stayed over in the tropical education center and rented pond houses with friends. They were around $85 USD a night and that included dinner before the tour and breakfast the next day. If you are staying in the area you could probably do it without overprinting.

We got to see the animals being fed, loved hearing the howler monkeys and the lush tropical plants that they had formed to archways over some of the paths made our walk a very cool experience. Worth bringing a flashlight and bug spray, although we got lucky and the skeeters were not out when we went.

The Belize Zoo accommodation page

belizezoo.org/accommodation/accommodation.ht…

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self trek- night jungle?

Cockscomb Basin also has cabins that rent over night. The Mayan guides on-site do night hikes, but there is one short loop near the visitor's center that is set up as a self-guided tour during the day. I don't know if it would do at night, but maybe somebody who has spent the night at the park can tell you.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self trek- night jungle?

I also recommend the Tropical Education Center for a night so you could do a night tour at the zoo. You can feed the animals too, and they are active since many are nocturnal.

London, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Self trek- night jungle?

The night time zoo tour sounds awesome!

This is going to sound like a ridiculous thing to ask, being that I am going to be visiting a central American country but... when you did the night tour of the zoo, did you see lots of insects (ie tarantulas?!).

I'm going to deal with my fear so i can experience as much as possible but would rather be prepared in advance!

Thanks,

Kat

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Self trek- night jungle?

I don't remember many insects there, no. I think the bats clean up the place, haha!