We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some Questions

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
373 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Some Questions

We will be going to San Ignacio at the end of August/beginning of September, and, after doing some research, I have a few questions:

1. I have heard good things about both Belize Magnificent and PACZ Tours. Does anyone have any opinion/experience on whether one is better? Or whether one is better for a certain tour (we will be in the Cayo for a number of days and plan on doing multiple tours)? Also, it looks like (from past posts I have read) if we did multiple tours with the same company, they may be willing to give a discount?

2. Since we will be there during the rainy season, I am wondering it there will be a problem doing the ATM cave tour?

3. I am considering whether it would be cheaper/easier to visit Xunantunich by renting a car for the day, or taking a taxi and having it wait for us at the site. Does anyone know approximately how much it would cost to take a taxi and have it wait? I am leaning toward the taxi, just to save the time and hassle of having to rent a car for one day.

4. Is it possible to walk from the San Ignacio Resort Hotel to Cahal Pech? Google maps has no idea where Cahal Pech is, and it appears from some less-precise maps I have looked at that the hotel is pretty close, but I just wanted to see if anyone on here happened to know.

Thanks in advance! I know I type a lot!

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some Questions

If you take a taxi all the way up to Xunantunich (across the ferry and a mile up the road), it costs a little extra, something like $15 US. We then walked down the hill when we were done (a pretty easy walk since it's all down hill). The hand-cranked ferry is right in Succotz village where you can grab a bite to eat at Benny's Kitchen. I highly recommend that. There are tons of taxis driving by towards San Ignacio in Succotz. You won't wait 5 minutes there and it costs $8-10 US for a ride to San Ignacio.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Some Questions

I walked to Cahal Pech from the centre of town. Your hotel is closer -- it looks like about 2 km, if that -- some of it uphill.

Edited: 16 July 2013, 19:03
BC
Level Contributor
4,329 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some Questions

Rain and the ATM tour.....we did the tour in March and our guide explained that sometimes when it rained the tours were cancelled, as the water level rapidly increased. It sounded like it would happen suddenly, without warning. I would plan for your ATM tour to be right at the beginning of your time, so that if it had to be postponed, you may get another shot at it.

Write to Bob at Pacz Tours with your question--he would have a good idea of what percentage of days get cancelled on average. Good luck--it is a fantastic tour.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some Questions

ATM is rarely closed; it does happen, and when it rained hard a few weeks back, it was closed for 3 days, but that is very rare. Best to do it first, yes. Both operators are great, and I have friends use both of them regularly. Take the taxi to Xunantunich, or the bus, and hike the 2 klicks. Rental cars are expensive. It's worth it to get one for Caracol and MPR though.

SIRH to CP is a klick, so you can do it easily. Be sure and see the Green Iguana Conservation Project at the SIRH. It's great to do on the same day as CP, and even Xunantunich and the Market.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
373 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some Questions

Thanks for all the great advice, everyone!

@drfeelawesome - I was wondering how much we could fit in a day. I always try to do as much as possible! If we can do all 4 of those in one day, that would be great!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some Questions

If you start early at the market, and then do the GICP, and then Cahal Pech, and then Xunantunich, it is possible.

Level Contributor
8,540 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some Questions

Taxi to Xunantunich as indicated above...cheap and gives you freedom...some guides hang around if you want one.

8. Re: Some Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 05:19