We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM machines at Maya Flats airstrip/ San Pedro? UK bank card

London, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
ATM machines at Maya Flats airstrip/ San Pedro? UK bank card

Hi,

I was hoping someone could advise me. My travel companion will be paid half way through our two week trip to Belize and will definitely need to withdraw some money.

We will be flying from San Ignacio to San Pedro half way through. Is there an ATM machine at the airport? Will we be able to withdraw cash with UK cards (the info on money on here is that San Pedro machines don't accept US bank cards so worried about ours!).

We will be coming back from Tikal the morning of our flight so the other alternative is to stop at a town on the way- just over the border, maybe?

Thanks in advance,

Kat

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,244 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM machines at Maya Flats airstrip/ San Pedro? UK bank card

San Pedro is probably the number one retirement spot in Belize for US Americans. I'd be VERY surprised if US credit/debit/ATM cards did not work there.

ATMs here accept Visa & Mastercard (plus others) as long as they're compatable with the Cirrus network (the Cirrus logo should be on the back of the card).

ATMs are located in all cities and main towns, including San Ignacio & San Pedro. I would not expect to find one at the Maya Flats airstrip (near San Ignacio).

The Maya Flats airstrip is located between the towns of Benque Viejo and San Ignacio. I don't think there's an ATM in Benque, so you would have to go to San Ignacio, and then bactrack to the airstrip. Fortunately, it's not a great distance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM machines at Maya Flats airstrip/ San Pedro? UK bank card

Great, thanks for that. I'll be able to cover her until we get to San Pedro so that'll be fine.

I did think it seemed VERY strange that it said not all accept US card!

Presumably any VISA/ Mastercard card will be fine, even an British issued one?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,052 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM machines at Maya Flats airstrip/ San Pedro? UK bank card

Maybe the info on banks not accepting US cards was old. 10 years ago, there wasn't an ATM on Ambergris that accepted US debit cards. It was our first trip and I actually had to go to the bank to get a cash advance on my credit card.

It was my first experience in a Central American bank that had a guard with an automatic rifle. A bit daunting at the time......

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM machines at Maya Flats airstrip/ San Pedro? UK bank card

Good afternoon, In San Ignacio Town before you get to Maya Flats there are 3 banks that have ATM's and accept US ATM cards to withdraw money. Each ATM differs and will only give a certain amount within a 24 hour period. Also as sated above, San Pedro is filled with expats from the US. All of the ATM machines will allow you to withdraw money from t he ATM. Your card must have the Visa or Mastercard logo on it and your home bank will charge you an international transaction fee which differs with every bank.

5. Re: ATM machines at Maya Flats airstrip/ San Pedro? UK bank card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 06:19