We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me pick a jungle lodge

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Help me pick a jungle lodge

I am planning a trip with my sister to Belize. I am thinking 4nts jungle and 3nts beach. I think we would enjoy the jungle lodge experience in terms of being in such an incredible natural environment, but neither one of us is into camping or rustic accomodations. An indoor full bathroom is non-negotiable. Day trips to ATM cave and Tikal are must-dos, and I would like to stay somewhere with some onsite activities for us to enjoy so we can have a day of relaxation between our excursions. I've looked at so many reviews on here, but am utterly confused as to which of the many jungle lodges we should focus on.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
224 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me pick a jungle lodge

There are quite a few to choose from. Do you have any price line criteria. Most of them are quite nice, some more intimate, some more commercial. Some are very expensive, some moderate. Some are more authentic, some more sterilized. You can do your tours from all of them. More authentic jungle lodges, would be Mariposa Jungle Lodge, Macaw Bank Jungle Lodge, Pooks Hill, Black Rock Lodge. These are in the moderate price range, and would offer a more authentic experience.Then there is Duplooys Jungle Lodge.More expensive would be Chaa Creek. There are others , but they would be more sterile, or not as authentic.

I know it is tough, but none the less I wish you happy shopping.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me pick a jungle lodge

I am not particularly concerned about price at this point. My main concern is the comfort and ambiance of the accomodations. I have looked at Chaa Creek, and their prices are not out of line with what I am willing to pay, but if I could get just as good accomodations somewhere cheaper, then that's good. While we'd like a pool, it's not a must. This is going to sound totally spoiled, but we want to feel like we are in the jungle without having to necessarily live like we're in the jungle. I know there's a certain amount of comfort that you will give up regardless (e.g., no AC, potentiall for little critters in the room), but I'd like to give up the least amount of comfort possible. On the other hand, I looked at Ka'na Resort, and it looked comfortable and absolutely lovely, but maybe a little too lacking in the jungle ambiance.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,788 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me pick a jungle lodge

duPlooys has a formidable botanic garden on premises, horses, canoeing on the river. Chaa Creek has a butterfly farm, Natl History Museum, spa, horses, river canoeing, guided hiking on their trails and a pool. Kaana is not a jungle lodge, but does have a/c and tv and just off the hywy

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me pick a jungle lodge

DuPlooy's is a great choice, as is Macaw Bank. Pook's Hill is right by ATM...

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
570 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me pick a jungle lodge

I'd like to put a good word in for a Lamanai Outpost Lodge, Orange Walk district. Our cabana had a nice indoor bathroom. The staff were so friendly and there was a choice of 2 complimentary activities per day. We loved the Mayan village cultural experience, the night river safari with a spotlight as well as walks to nearby amazing Lamanai Mayan temples. Just wow! And it was possible to pay for other tours.

Reno, Nv
Level Contributor
128 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me pick a jungle lodge

Check out Ian Andersons Caves Branch Resort. We stayed in one of the tree houses. The accommodations and pool is spectacular and their activities are really cool. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and they have a huge collection of orchids on the property.

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me pick a jungle lodge

You don't have to stay in the jungle to get the jungle experience since you plan to do tours that will take you into the jungle.

If air conditioning, full baths, comfort, luxury and safety are high on the list of your requirements, then I recommend you take a long look at the San Ignacio Resort Hotel...

http://www.sanignaciobelize.com/

It's at the edge of town, not way out over rough rock roads. It does have a jungle nature area on the grounds leading down to the river and great dining on site.

The hotel will arrange your tours, or all the tour operators will pick you up and return you to the hotel.

It's where Queen Elisabeth II and Prince Harry stayed, which speaks volumes.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,788 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me pick a jungle lodge

Prince Harry stayed at CC and his grandmum at SIRH

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me pick a jungle lodge

Yes, you're right. The San Ignacio Resort Hotel only hosted the luncheon for Prince Harry.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me pick a jungle lodge

Blancaneaux??