We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Ignacio for Honeymoon, Where to Stay? Car Rental?

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
San Ignacio for Honeymoon, Where to Stay? Car Rental?

We are planning our honeymoon to Belize in Mid August this year. We will have 12 days/nights and thinking about spending the first half in the jungle in or around San Ignacio and the second half on Caye Caulker. We are looking for reasonable places to stay, but want something nice since it is our honeymoon. We are trying to figure out if we should rent a car for San Ignacio or just plan on booking transportation on the go. In general, we tend to want to stray from the crowds, but at the same time recognize that there is usually a reason for them (ie Tikal/ATM).

Things we are interested in doing in San Ignacio (5-6 Days):

Staying in a jungle lodge (Black Rock? Or something on par that may be closer to town?)

Cave/River Tubing

Tikal for a day trip with a guide (even if we have a car, prefer a guide).

ATM for certain (I hear Carlos is the guy to contact).

Market (interested in local food, people, and industry)

Eating in local restaurants during the day and some evenings.

Possibly driving around for exploration (Hummingbird Hwy)?

Things we are interested in doing in Caye Caulker (6-7 Days):

Relaxing

Snorkeling

Drinking fruity rum drinks

Cooking with local ingredients

Questions:

How much time are we going to want to spend in San Ignacio versus back at the lodge?

Is Black Rock too far from town if we are planning on having some dinners there?

What is a good lodge that feels remote but allows for reasonably easy access to town?

Should we have a rental car in San Ignacio if we are planning on using guides for at least two of the trips (ATM and Tikal)?

Are San Ignacio and Caye Caulker the best two places given our above objectives?

Any other suggestions for things to do in San Ignacio would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Ignacio for Honeymoon, Where to Stay? Car Rental?

I'd just rent a vehicle for a day or 2 while here. Flames auto rental is the best here, and they have rugged suv's. Black Rock is beautiful, and it's really out there too. You won't need to spend too much time in downtown. I recommend a local day on Saturday if you can, so you can see the Saturday market and do the Green Iguana Conservation Project, and maybe Cahal Pech too. To answer your question about a jungly feel, yet being close to town, check out Bullet Tree Falls(I am biased).

I'd choose Ambergris over Caulker, especially since it's your honeymoon, and you'll be here during the busy Summer season. AC can be more pricey, but it's worth it. You could spend one night or so on Caulker.

Congratulations!

2. Re: San Ignacio for Honeymoon, Where to Stay? Car Rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 06:19