We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite Dry Cave - which one and why?

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
578 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite Dry Cave - which one and why?

We are visiting at the end of June. We're planning on going to Actun Chapat for sure. We also really wanted to do the ATM cave. However, some people are saying we may get totally rained/flooded out for our dates June 26-July 1.

If that were to happen...what other cave would you recommend? It will be myself, husband and 10 year old.

We'd really like to do ATM and will try for that, but if not, what's your other favorite and why?

Thanks!

Nicole

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,860 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite Dry Cave - which one and why?

Ooo - Chapat and it's friend Halal are great choices. I think ATM will work for you, although some years, no. I'd add a Maya site instead. Yaxhá?

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite Dry Cave - which one and why?

Mountain Cow Cave is awesome. Actun Chapat is super fun too, although there is a lake inside it, but you don't have to swim. The Black Hole drop is wicked too.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
578 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite Dry Cave - which one and why?

Hopefulist - we are going to Actun Chapat, because of a previous recommendation you made! :-) I have talked with Ken and have it set up for our last day, since he said that it makes no difference if it's raining or not when we do it.

Dr. Feel Awesome - so Mountain Cow Cave is the one with the black hole drop or is that a different one? I'd be up for that, but not sure that my daughter would do it! Even though she did rappel down a 160 foot waterfall when she was 8 in Costa Rica. I think she'd freak out about dropping down into a dark cave where she couldn't see what was coming.

Our list to do is:

1. ATM

2. Caracol/Mountain Pine Ridge

3. Actun Chapat

4. Cahal Pech - on our own and then visit Iguana Project

Any guides either of you highly recommend for the first two trips?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,860 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite Dry Cave - which one and why?

We used Pacz for ATM and enjoyed it.

www.pacztours.net/actun-tunichil-muknal/

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite Dry Cave - which one and why?

Pacz is great for ATM. John Chuc from Kin Winik is the best for Caracol. I use both all the time.

Mountain Cow cave is really close to the Black Hole Drop, but they are totally different. Ian Anderson's Caves Branch does the BHD. Great trip. They also do the Waterfall Cave. Amazing tours.

6. Re: Favorite Dry Cave - which one and why?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 06:19