We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female traveler from San Ignacio to Tikal - safe?

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ventura, California
2 posts
Save Topic
Solo female traveler from San Ignacio to Tikal - safe?

Howdy folks,

I'm planning on traveling from San Ignacio to Tikal in mid-April to do an overnight trip to the park. To save costs, I'm planning on taking a shuttle (either Mayan Heart World, Pacz Tours, or Maximum Adventures) from San Ignacio to the Hotel Tikal Inn. Once there I plan on taking advantage of the tours they offer and/or doing a bit of exploring of the park by myself.

As a young female traveling solo, my family is a bit nervous, especially regarding the border crossing. I figured I'd get some feedback on this forum to set their mind at ease. Could you guys let me know how safe/unsafe it might be for a young woman travelling alone to do the itinerary mentioned above?

Thanks in advance!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,872 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo female traveler from San Ignacio to Tikal - safe?

Definitely use a guide to explore for park for many reasons, including knowledge about the Mayans and the site, not getting lost out there and safety, in case you do get lost.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo female traveler from San Ignacio to Tikal - safe?

I agree with Katie's post about using a guide at Tikal and in regards to safety crossing the border you shouldn't have any issues. The shuttles you mentioned have all done this several times. Of the ones you mentioned I would give my vote to PACZ tours. As with anywhere just excercise your general common sense to stay safe. I am a single female who travels around San Ignacio all the time solo at all times and never felt unsafe. Enjoy Tikal it is an amazing trip :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
330 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo female traveler from San Ignacio to Tikal - safe?

Tikal is not to be missed and the day we went it was 106! However, having a guide is worth every penny. The border crossing is chaotic and even if we could have figured out which lines to get in (and we would never have figured it out) our guide exchanged currency, cut to the front of the correct lines and we did not wait around more than was necessary. It is a long day and you want to spend as little at the border crossing as possible. Also, our small group picked up a local guide close to the park and we learned so much from having him with us. An amazing day for all of us that we still talk about.

Ventura, California
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo female traveler from San Ignacio to Tikal - safe?

Thanks for the advice wegs3000. Do you have any recommendations for tour groups to join up with? The overnight trips from SI to Tikal seem to be pretty pricey ($400, yikes!), but I'd be open to going with a group if it was reasonably priced & came with recommendations.

Edited: 26 February 2014, 19:10
5. Re: Solo female traveler from San Ignacio to Tikal - safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 06:23