We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to travel to Tikal

Hillsboro, Oregon...
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to travel to Tikal

Hi,

We are staying in San Ignacio for 4 nights, then heading to Tikal for an overnight stay at Tikal Inn. What is the least expensive way to get to Tikal? Public bus? Then what do we do at the border?

Tikal Inn offers a shuttle, but it hate the time restraints and it would be $45 per person each way.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Sara

CAYO BELIZE
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to travel to Tikal

Bzmtours offer shuttle to Tikal , which includes pickup from your Hotel in San Ignacio to Tikal INN.

at $62.50us pp. all you need to pay is your Border departure tax which is $18.75us pp.

for more info contact them at info@bzmtours.com

Hillsboro, Oregon...
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to travel to Tikal

Thanks, but that is more than what the hotel is charging. Trying to go for a bit less money.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
303 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to travel to Tikal

You might check with multiple hotels in San Igancio to see how much shared vans cost.

Another possibility is not to stay at Tikal but have a long day to/from San Ignacio. A few years ago this is what my wife and I did via a shared van with duPlooys hotel. I do not remember the cost but was discounted since we were staying at duPlooys. We frequently travel by public bus but do not remember seeing any on this route perhaps because of the border crossing. In Guatemala the road is dirt and extremely slow with the potholes, rocks, livestock and people on the road. Our van driver was also our bi-lingual guide at Tikal and frequently crossed the border so it was not a hassle for us.

Hillsboro, Oregon...
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to travel to Tikal

Thanks!

We were going to just do a day trip. But I read so many forum posts about the sunrise tour, I had to do it! And we will be doing the sunset tour at Yaxha with Roxy. We are really excited to ne able to go to both sites.

I will ask around at other hotels to see if they have a shuttle we can share. Thank you for the good advice!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,368 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to travel to Tikal

$45 person each way is very reasonable--don't think you'll get a much better deal. Tikal is not a short drive from the border. Totally worth it, though, day trippers miss Tikal during its best times of day.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to travel to Tikal

If you do it yourself, you'll save a few dollars - $45 is a decent rate - but the added hassle is not worth it. I'd check with Max from Maximum Adventure Tours here in Cayo. He sometimes is a little cheaper, and can be there at a certain time.

Hillsboro, Oregon...
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to travel to Tikal

Thank you for the advice. I will look into Max.

Thanks,

sara

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
179 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to travel to Tikal

Sara will you post an update on what you decide to do. We are coming in August and are staying In SI for 3 nights, Tikal for 2 and then in Flores for 1 before heading back to Ambergris Caye. I've just now thought we should be figuring out the transportation issue. Thanks! Joanne

9. Re: Best way to travel to Tikal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2015, 05:15