We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RE: Debating Itinerary need advice!

Level Contributor
230 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
RE: Debating Itinerary need advice!

Looks like we definitely making the trip to Belize for 8 days in Mid-May. It is our first time to this country and very excited! I am looking at either San Ignacio for 3 days (Ka'ana Boutique Resort) and do some adventure/ruins stuff then 5 Days at Ambergris Cay for water/beach trip (Matachica's or Ramon's Village).

OR go to Placencia for the entire 8 days and stay at (Chabil Marvilla or Robert Grove House) and from there take day trips to Caulker Cay/Silk Cay and inland days trips to Ruins/Cave Tubing etc….

Any advice on this? Also, how hot is it inland that time of year?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
San Ignacio
San Ignacio
Cayo, Belize
Ka'ana Resort
Ka'ana Resort
918 Reviews
San Ignacio, Belize
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Robert's Grove Beach Resort
Robert's Grove Beach...
817 Reviews
Placencia, Belize
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RE: Debating Itinerary need advice!

Statistically May is the hottest month in Belize, both inland and on the cayes. Belize is generally fairly low lying but there are some inland areas with a bit of elevation which can help with the temperature. We liked Placencia ok but staying there the whole time means longish trips to almost everything but the beach. If you split you'll spend far less time (and usually $$) doing the things you want to do.

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Have a great trip, whatever you decide!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Level Contributor
230 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RE: Debating Itinerary need advice!

What time of year is best to go to Belize in terms of weather? We have been also considering a completely different trip to St. Lucia. If it's going to be unbearably hot, maybe we are better off planning a trip to Belize another time?

Thanks for sharing your photos! It's very helpful in terms of getting an idea of Belize.

Edited: 22 April 2014, 06:02
Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Belize
Belize
Central America
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RE: Debating Itinerary need advice!

We generally go in July and/or August but just returned from our 4th visit 3 weeks ago. Many would say don't go during the summer months - rain and risk of hurricane - but we've found it to be a great time to visit. When you go during the slower seasons the prices often drop dramatically and the rain (in our experience) falls mainly at night and cools things down. If you go during the hotter months, consider having ac and a pool or beach.

The busiest times are the holidays and other winter months as folks up north escape the cold and snow. If weather is your chief factor, here are historical weather charts. Have a great trip, whatever you decide!

www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3…

Kalimantan...
Level Contributor
8,247 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: RE: Debating Itinerary need advice!

When I travel, I like to get to as many places as possible, so your first option would suit me. But, if you like to get to a place and just relax, then the second option.

I find May to be the hottest month of the year, and inland maximums (32 to 34° C) are always a few degrees higher than on the coast. Sea breezes make the coastal areas more pleasant.

For me, the best weather starts in mid-November when the cold fronts start to move in bringing temperatures down. You won't need an a/c at night. The last cold front is usually in March or April, and then it gets really hot again. The driest period is from mid-February to mid-May.

Edited: 22 April 2014, 15:59
Level Contributor
230 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RE: Debating Itinerary need advice!

I am only debating if we should still go to San Ignacio first and do the inland activities….or just spend all our time on Ambergris Cay. What is the difference in vibe between Ambergris Cay and Placencia? Is Placencia going to be hotter than Ambergris Cay ?

Mentioned in this post
San Ignacio
San Ignacio
Cayo, Belize
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RE: Debating Itinerary need advice!

Here's a link to an old Thorntree thread with Lan Sluder's descriptions of your beachy options:

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
374 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RE: Debating Itinerary need advice!

I would suggest not missing out on visiting the Cayo (San Ignacio). At least for my style.... I understand that some people would rather relax all day -- I like to do stuff! There are lots of ruins in the Cayo, and good caving (check out the ATM Cave). We split our time between San Ignacio and Ambergris Caye (did the jungle first, then the more relaxing beach to finish the trip). Loved both places! They are so different, and we were glad that we had the chance to see the sights and life of both places (plus we tried different food between the two!).

Mentioned in this post
Cayo
Cayo
Belize
San Ignacio
San Ignacio
Cayo, Belize
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RE: Debating Itinerary need advice!

April and May are our Summer here. I'd do the first option because with that amount of time, you can see multiple places. If you stay in the hills, like at Chaa Creek, DuPlooy's, the canopy can make it cooler...

9. Re: RE: Debating Itinerary need advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2015, 06:16