We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 San Ignacio/3 Jungle or 5 San Ignacio/1 Tikal with kids?

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
135 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
3 San Ignacio/3 Jungle or 5 San Ignacio/1 Tikal with kids?

I'm planning an 11 night family trip in July with two kids (ages 7 and 10). I was thinking of doing either 3 nights closer in town in San Ignacio and 3 nights at Caves Branch/Chaa Creek/other. But, after reading more about overnights in Tikal, I thought that perhaps 5 nights closer in at San Ignacio and 1 night in Tikal might be better. The last five nights we'll go somewhere for a beach/snorkel fix.

Thoughts? I don't want to bounce around too much, but we also want to maximize our travel time. My youngest is too little for the more extreme adventures, so I think we limited to ruins, hikes and some of the milder cave/river trips for the most part.

I'd love any recommendations on where to stay and what to do with kids and input on overnight vs. day trip to Tikal. We do enjoy good local food and a pool would be a plus. Thanks so much!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,152 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 San Ignacio/3 Jungle or 5 San Ignacio/1 Tikal with kids?

You don't say what your budget is but we stayed at the Aguada 5 years ago when we were traveling with my brother-in-law's family which included 3 boys. We were really happy there - kitchenettes, on site restaurant, pool, good value, and close enough to town that the tours will pick you up there without an extra charge.

www.aguadabelize.com

Our 1st trip to Belize Macal Jungle Camp - Chaa Creek's jungly cousin - was a highlight; our kids were 17, 18, and 20 at the time. It's less accessible for tours but there's less need - you have the pool, butterfly place, hiking trails, and canoes available.

I'm a proponent of overnights to Tikal - so great to have the cooler evening and early morning hours to explore the jungle and ruins when wildlife is active and you practically have the place to yourselves. It would probably be the best wildlife spotting of your trip. 2 of the 3 hotels there have pools.

2 caving trips you could consider are Chechem Ha and Actun Chapat; I found the latter to be especially awesome.

http://www.actunchapatadventure.blogspot.com/

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Have a great trip, whatever you decide! flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
135 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 San Ignacio/3 Jungle or 5 San Ignacio/1 Tikal with kids?

Thanks so much for the information. I've looked at your blog and photos already for ideas! So helpful. This is a special birthday/anniversary trip so we are willing to splurge a little. Somewhere between $100-$350/night (hoping it averages out over our trip to $200 a night max though if we will need to pay for flights while in Belize).

Any ideas about transportation options to Tikal? Is it best to take shuttle there and back from Cayo or could you take a shuttle there and then fly to Belize City from there (and then onward)?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,152 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 San Ignacio/3 Jungle or 5 San Ignacio/1 Tikal with kids?

Loads of transport details here (not just bus):

www.belizebus.wordpress.com

You can look into flight schedules. I think the only option is in the morning which would imply 2 nights for Tikal, 1 in the park and 1 in Flores ahead of the flight, otherwise you'd miss the opportunity to do a sunrise/morning tour. Taking a shuttle both ways probably makes more sense if you want to just spend 1 night.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
135 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 San Ignacio/3 Jungle or 5 San Ignacio/1 Tikal with kids?

Thanks! That is very helpful.

dc
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 San Ignacio/3 Jungle or 5 San Ignacio/1 Tikal with kids?

HI.. I would love to ask you for your thoughts on our trip.. Is there a way to contact you?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,152 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 San Ignacio/3 Jungle or 5 San Ignacio/1 Tikal with kids?

I'm not sure if you're talking to me or to Geofamily, but either way you can click on the forum name, then click on "Send Message" half way down the page on the left.

Or just post your questions here - likely to be others who will find your trip interesting. :-)

7. Re: 3 San Ignacio/3 Jungle or 5 San Ignacio/1 Tikal with kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 05:17