We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help

San Francisco...
9 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary help

We will be in Belize for 4 days in 3 weeks. We land on Sunday the 20th at around 10am.

What is the best way to get from the airport to our hotel (kaana)?

Would a day trip to the reefs for snorkeling be too expensive or troublesome?

What are is the best mayan ruin to visit?

We have a day set for atm, what would the best tour to do with this?

Thanks in advance, it is our first trip to belize

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,944 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help

Just under two hrs by road or a 20 mins flight. Tikal or Caracol. You might want to book one night on the beach for snorkeling. You can fly direct from the local airstrip near Kaana to San Pedro for snorkeling and then direct to Intl airport for your flight home

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help

(305)7352553 This is Ka'ana's u.s. contact #, if you contact them they should be able to offer you airport transfer by road. If their is an added cost keep in mind it is a bit of a trek from the airport. I wouldn't recommended bussing it & a taxi's gonna cost. If you're booked at kaana I would suggests you attempt to have the resort arrange your airport transfer or rent a car & drive(gas is $12bze/$6u.s. a gal.) I'll be in Belize from L.A. around that same time, let me know if l can help.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help

There is also an airstrip located about 20 minutes from Kaana which you can fly directly to via Tropic Air. the flight is about 30 minutes and you can arrange for Kaana to pick you up from the Maya Flats air strip

Indian Springs...
Level Contributor
32 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help

We just stayed at Ka'ana and we loved it. It is about a 2 hr drive from the airport to the resort, which is just a few miles west of San Ignacio. If you haven't driven in Belize, read about driving in Cayo or Belize on this forum. The other options would be to take a bus there, but probably the best option is get in touch with the resort.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help

Caracol is the best ruin, imho. If you're staying at Ka'ana, do you have a rental car so you can get to and from town easily? You would use it most days. ATM is awesome, and Pacz and Maximum are great. I'd save the reefs for next trip.

San Francisco...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help

thanks a lot everybody. We have contacted William shuttles to take us from the airport to our hotel, he was more than half the price our hotel was charging.

would doing a tikal day trip be worth to? or is tikal better for overnight?

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help

Try Tikal overnight. You can do the sunset tour, and the sunrise tour. That's quite a discrepency.

California
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help

Four days in Belize does not warrant a trip to Tikal. You barely have enough time as it is. Save Tikal for another trip. Why would you want to spend more time at airports, getting to airport, waiting at airport, flying, getting off airplane, and now getting into a car for more hours of driving to get to Tikal?

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary help

If you only have 4 days here, then I agree: save Guatemala for next trip.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
591 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary help

William is the BEST! You will love him! We just got back from 12 days in Belize - 6 at Parrot Nest in Bullet Tree Falls (outside of San Ignacio) and 6 at Colinda Cabanas on Caye Caulker.

We had 4 days (non travel) to do activities in the San Ignacio area. On Friday we went to ATM with River Rat (Gonzo - archaeologist - awesome)! Saturday we grabbed a ride into town and did Cahal Pech, Saturday Market and the Iguana Conservation Project. We still had time for a couple of hours of tubing on the river by Parrot Nest after we returned that day. Sunday we went to Caracol/Rio On Pools with River Rat (Israel) - also totally awesome! Monday we went to Actun Chapat cave - owned by Ken - super cool! So large that you can put ATM inside it! I highly recommend all of these places and these people! I'll be posting full reviews but not for about another week - not sure when you needed your info by.