We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hopkins vs placencia in august?

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
hopkins vs placencia in august?

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Belize in August. Its our first vacation without two kids under two ;) so our budget is open.

We are starting in the Caho for 3 nights/4 days (planning ATM, Caracoal, and hiking) and then looking to spend 5 nights/the remainder at a relaxing beach destination in the south. I have narrowed it down to hopkins or placencia. We love to swim in the ocean, walk on the beach for miles (if possible). We would like to take snorkel trips to glovers caye and the corkscomb basin but are probably not renting a car. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We are looking for luxurious relaxation and water activities and some restaurant options but not bars or big crowds.

Also does anyone know the best way to get from san ignacio to hopkins/placencia?

8 replies to this topic
belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,944 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hopkins vs placencia in august?

Both great beach locations close to the mainland and easy to access both Glovers and Cockscomb from. Placencia has more to offer in terms restaurant and hotel options and has a quaint village to roam around in, but either are quite nice and have good beaches. You can fly from Cayo to Placencia or drive from Cayo to either along the scenic Hummingbird Hywy

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hopkins vs placencia in august?

I prefer Placencia because of the Barefoot Bar and Tutti Fruiti. Hopkins is great too. A shuttle is the best way to go. A little expensive, but worth it 'cos you get to see the Hummingbird Highway. I'd fly out, so you get to see it from above too. William at Belize Shuttles is the best, by the way.

I think you'd need a car for cockscomb, or you could do a tour from Placencia(or rent a car for a day there, which would save you a lot of money).

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hopkins vs placencia in august?

Hopkins is closer to Glovers than Placencia is and you can easily access Cockscomb from Hopkins, either by renting a motorcycle, taxi (as low as $20US PP round trip) or with a tour guide. It is also a considerably shorter drive to Hopkins from San Ignacio than the drive to Placencia. If you do decide to rent a car, you can rent a car in Hopkins for a day or rent a car in San Ignacio and drive down. I know that Matus auto rental will arrange a drop off at the Dangriga airport (for an extra charge) so you can fly directly to the International airport for your flight home. I think Dr.FA's suggestion of driving down (by bus, rented vehicle or transfer/shuttle) for the spectacular scenery and flying back for the time saved (and more great scenery) is your best option.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
115 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hopkins vs placencia in august?

Maybe some photos will help. Here is link to an aerial of Hopkins: www.google.com/imgres…

Not many tourists. Mostly residential. The resorts there can provide you with dining and tours. Above advice is provided by folks that are very knowledgeable about all of Belize.

Here is link to photo of Placencia: travel-informed.com/index.php/image-gallery/… - Also, a lot of great information about both areas on this site.

Placencia has about 1300 full time residents and a small tourist element that gives you more restaurant options and gift shops.

Both locations have easy access to snorkeling, scuba diving, Cockscomb, Monkey river etc. Hopkins is a little closer to Glovers and Cockscomb. Each location has very good tour guides. In Placencia all resorts along the 16 mile peninsula will list themselves as Placencia but the Village with most of the restaurants and shops is at the end of the Peninsula. If you want easy five minute access to the restaurant options so you don't feel like you have to have all of your meals at the resort, then you should concentrate on resorts that are south of the Placencia airport, such at Turtle Inn and Chabil Mar.

Also, admittedly, I am a bit prejudiced to Placencia so I will also point out that Placencia received many national tourism rewards this month from the Belize Tourism Board. See: prweb.com/releases/…prweb10749976.htm

Hope this helps.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hopkins vs placencia in august?

Great info, landscape - I enjoyed looking at the aerial views. I don't think either Hopkins or Placencia has 'easy access' to snorkeling and diving, though - they both require an hour or more on a boat just to get to the nearest decent spots. Even with dramamine that's longer than I want to spend getting to the 1st stop. We have loved both, though - they are great choices as long as snorkeling and diving aren't top priorities.

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails! flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,944 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hopkins vs placencia in august?

Hopkins is 10 miles from the reef and Placencia 19 miles from the reef; 30 mins from Hopkins and 40 from Placencia

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hopkins vs placencia in august?

I stand corrected on the distances - didn't realize Hopkins was that much closer, sorry to have misspoken! I had a hard time in Placencia last August getting a dive group together - slow season and no one was heading out. Snorkeling was a bit easier but worth due diligence if you only have a few days' window. I finally rounded up other travelers on my own. The day we went out the water was pretty rough - well over an hour to our 1st stop. I'm spoiled by vacations where I can step off the beach into good snorkeling (in Belize that's been Glover's Atoll and Tranquility Bay) and have loved the multiple stop trips from Caulker where it's mostly in the water instead of in a rocking boat since the reef is just a few minutes away from the island. Maybe if I didn't get seasick so frequently my definition of 'easy' would be different! ;-)

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: hopkins vs placencia in august?

Thank you all for your wisdom.

Reply to: hopkins vs placencia in august?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stann Creek
Recent Conversations