We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling at Hopkins Village

Bath
Level Contributor
160 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
snorkeling at Hopkins Village

Has anyone gone on the snorkeling day trip offered through Caves Branch? I was wondering if it's a good experience & worth spending the day? The trip is described as:

A dive boat takes you to Southwater Caye to meet your guide then on to the Barrier Reef for a two stop snorkeling day. Later stop at one of the research stations along the reef for a familiarization tour of the stations.

8 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,826 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling at Hopkins Village

Sounds like a great trip to me! If snorkeling is a priority, you might want to stay somewhere closer to the reef so you can spend more than 1 day focused on it.

Bath
Level Contributor
160 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling at Hopkins Village

Hopefulist:

Thanks for your response. We're staying at Sleeping Giant for a week in Belize, but since I wanted to get to the ocean without having to split our trip into two locations, I thought the day trip to Hopkins provided by Caves Branch would be a good option.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,826 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling at Hopkins Village

We stayed at Caves Branch years ago - they have a good reputation and it's likely to be a good trip. It will be a long day with not much time in the water, though, since you'll have some land travel time and the reef is quite a ways out from there - 10 miles, maybe? Just so you're prepared, especially if anyone in your group tends toward seasickness.

Bath
Level Contributor
160 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkeling at Hopkins Village

Hopefulist - thanks for the warning

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,826 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkeling at Hopkins Village

More of a 'heads up' than a warning. ;-)

Hopkins, Belize
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkeling at Hopkins Village

its the closest spot to the reef from where your located, so it might be wise to go with it. The ride will be worth it

Bath
Level Contributor
160 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkeling at Hopkins Village

Blaine c - thanks - happy to hear from a "local", in addition to a Belize expert.

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkeling at Hopkins Village

Making our first trip to Belize. We will be staying at Jungle Jeanie's near Hopkins village. Wondering if the snorkeling is good leaving from Hopkin's village - or if we should schedule a trip to one of the Cayes?

Reply to: snorkeling at Hopkins Village
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted