We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One month in Dangriga???

ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
One month in Dangriga???

Hi,

My husband and I (both 62) are thinking about spending the month of February in Belize. We would prefer not to rent a car but use public transportation and tour operators to get around the country. We want to stay in one place and make day or maybe overnight trips to see the sights. We need, therefore, to be in a town so that we can walk to grocery stores, restaurants, etc. and also pick up buses or tours. I found a house for rent in Dangriga and I'm wondering if that might be a good location for us. We're not interested in night life or upscale restaurants, but would like to sort of "blend in" with local life.

Does anyone have any experience with Dangriga? Might you have other suggestions? I would really appreciate any advice. We've stayed in other countries for a month before, but we've never been to Belize. Thanks!!!

Terri

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,238 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One month in Dangriga???

My husband and I (he's 62) spent three months last winter on Ambergris. We own a condo, so rentals aren't an issue for us.

I suspect Ambergris may be too busy and full of tourists for what you're looking for.

I've spent very little time in Dangriga, just coming and going to other places. I don't think I would be comfortalbe there. If you're looking for not as busy, but on the coast, I"d look at Corozal or Punta Gorda. Or around San Ignacio inland.

Caye Caulker is a fun little island as well, but would be too small for me for a month.

Hopefully, someone more local than me can give you better thoughts on Dangriga. Mine have no basis in fact, just based on feelings while I was there.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One month in Dangriga???

Dangriga is the service center for the surrounding villages, providing banks and government services; plus the transportation hub between the Hummingbird and Southern Highways and boats to Tobacco and South Water Cayes. Why don't you look at Hopkins, on the sea just south of Dangriga. Many grocery stores within walking distance of any neighbourhood, choice of land and sea tour operators, bus to Dangriga goes through the village twice daily, same for bus from Dangriga. choice of local restaurants as well as those catering to visitors when you tire of rice and beans.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One month in Dangriga???

I don't think you would like to spend a month in Dangriga.

I would choose Placencia, find somewhere in Placencia village itself, One World rentals might be a good spot for you. Now that the road is almost completed, Placencia becomes a much better spot as a base than it used to be.

Hopkins is nice, but not quite as much there in the way of services, you might appreciate being closer to banks, doctors etc. Also the roads in and out are a bit rugged and can get flooded in the rainy season.

Either place will allow you to fit in with the locals, as guests and residents accommodation are all mixed in together.

The cayes are more expensive and much further from jungle activities.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One month in Dangriga???

I'd highly recommend Placencia over Dangriga for an extended stay. If you wanted to stay inland, then Cayo might be more your taste. Dangriga is fine for a short stay, but I don't think you'd like it long term.

Good luck!

ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One month in Dangriga???

Thanks so much for your help. We are looking for a fairly quiet location but yet would like near services. I'll look at the possibilities you've suggested.

ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One month in Dangriga???

Thanks for mentioning Hopkins. I've been reading about it and it sounds charming. We'll start looking for a rental there. I appreciate your help!

ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One month in Dangriga???

Thanks for the info. I checked out One World and it looks like the kind of place we would enjoy. Hopkins also looks interesting. We'll start doing checking out both these locations. I really appreciate your help!

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One month in Dangriga???

Dangriga is an awful looking town. Sorry, but it just looks that way. The town has never had any desire to be a tourist destination and it shows big time. The people there are fine...they stay busy with everyday things and are neither friendly or unfriendly towards any stray tourists who happen to drive in and then turn around and leave.

It's the one disappointment of driving the beautiful Hummingbird Highway. Stop before you get to Dangriga and turn around and drive back or head down to points south.

This is without doubt the best looking section of town...

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…800px-Grigadan.JPG

The rest is not nearly as nice and orderly, but it's far cleaner than Belize City.

Placencia is good choice if you want on the water. If you want a central location for seeing Mayan sites, mountains, rivers, and inland culture, then San Ignacio is the hub.

Edited: 16 May 2010, 03:38
ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One month in Dangriga???

You may have saved us from a miserable month!! We were looking at the location as being central, but we'll make other arrangements! Do you kinw if taking buses from place to place is practical? Thanks!

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One month in Dangriga???

A local will have to give you the details, but I believe that taking buses from place to place is practical. The trick is to get the route information and to know where to catch the buses.

As to costs, I've read that the express bus that goes non-stop from Belize City to San Ignacio (nearly 70 miles) only costs 10 USD and the local bus that stops at each village is like a third that.

There again, a local will have to confirm this, but I'm under the impression that the local buses will pick you up most anywhere, but you better be animated in flagging them down (just don't take it as far as laying down in the road).