We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hopkins or placencia????

phoenix
Level Contributor
13 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
hopkins or placencia????

we are planning a week in Belize in July, and trying to decide between Hopkins or Placencia. Budget-ish travelers, beach important, day trip to maya ruins on the list....which destination do people recommend, any ideas??

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hopkins or placencia????

I like the beach in Placencia, and the fact that it's so laid back. They also have some great places to eat, and the best gelato in Central America can be found at Tutti Frutti.

Hopkins is also laid back, but doesn't have as much to do, imho. I've had friends recommend Hamanasi, but it's not really applicable if you're on a tight budget. You could always do both if you'll have a week...

phoenix
Level Contributor
13 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hopkins or placencia????

thanks.......did you find the beaches to be overly dirty and trash-laden in either locale??

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hopkins or placencia????

Because the Mayan ruins are on your list, I think you should spend at least one day in San Ignacio. A day trip to any of the major ruins from either Hopkins or Placencia will entail more travel time than ruin time. For Placencia, add at least two hours more than Hopkins.for travel there and back. If you do decide to stay in San Ignacio, I would pick Hopkins over Placencia because it is closer to San Ignacio (check out the map on this web site to get an idea of distances: http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/map.html ). Hopkins is definitely more laid back than Placencia and overall cheaper (beer at a beach side restaurant for $3.50). Budget-ish accommodations (beach cabana, hot water, private bath,fridge) can be had for $50US and budget rooms one lot off the beach for $15US. Beaches in either locale that are near tourist accommodations, restaurants etc. are maintained by the business people and usually garbage free.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hopkins or placencia????

I'd go for Placencia, more to do, more choice, although Hopkins in nice it is just a bit too quiet for me and the choice of acommodation is not as wide.

Beaches are kept clean in both locations. We do have issues at times (maybe a few days every other year) during the rainy season when the rivers in Guatemala flood and our beaches are simply overwhelmed with rubbish. Then there is a mass turnout of the population with black bin bags to clean it up.

Other than that, you will find them clean, though gritty sand.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hopkins or placencia????

I find that every beach, and just about every island(or caye) has a slight trash problem. It's inescapable since it's 2010, and we use the oceans as our personal garbage cans. That being said, the main beach of Placencia is kept clean, by an effort of those that live there, and while there might be some trash off the beaten path, and some very small pieces of plastic matter on some parts of the beach, it's relatively clean. I like Placencia's beaches.

If you only stay in Placencia, then you can do Nim Li Punit or Lubantuun down south. If you do stay in the Cayo district, you have access to other ruins. All have their own amazing history, stellas, and stories.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hopkins or placencia????

www.placencia.com

7. Re: hopkins or placencia????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2010, 05:17