We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary Private Vehicle

Toronto
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary Private Vehicle

Hi. I plan on taking a private vehicle to Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary. I will be going through the Maya Center and most likely booking a cabin for 2 nights. Is it possible to bring my vehicle into the sanctuary and park it next to the cabin? I guess the main question is, where would I put my vehicle once I get to/past the Maya Center? Thanks in advance!

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
280 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary Private Vehicle

There is no Hotel at the sanctuary itself, so most likely you are booking a hotel in Maya Center. Maya Center is along the main highway and the Sanctuary visitor's center is located 6 miles up hill into the jungle (dirt road 4x4 vehicle recommended but not a must. The sanctuary has a large parking lot for private vehicles and tour vans to park so no problem there, you will need to check with the hotel you are booking regarding their parking.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,233 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary Private Vehicle

It depends on which cabin you're staying in. We stayed in the 'Private Cabin' and you couldn't drive to it; we didn't have a car but would have needed to park a ways away and walk over. Remember to pay your park fees in the gift shop in Maya Centre and, if you plan to rent cooking utensils and gear you'll need to do it before the office closes. Enjoy!

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary Private Vehicle

Yes, there is lodging in the park itself. There is a designated parking area, but it would not be next to your cabin.

4. Re: Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary Private Vehicle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 20:16