We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Planning in Belize

British Chic in...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tour Planning in Belize

Lots of questions about tour destinations while on vacation in Belize, and of course, where best to stay. Loaded questions, believe me!!! The entire country has its merits, but I believe that "see and sea" is just about the best plan. Stay in Belize City (lots of great hotels, including Biltmore Best Western, Radisson, Princess). Fan out from there to Maya sites such as Lamanai (with jungle river tour), Altun Ha, Cahal Pech and Xunantunich. Do Cave Tubing/Zipline/Zoo as a triple combination tour in one day from Belize City (those three are within the areas of Miles 31 to 37 from the city - excellent paved highways). Then, hit the "sea" scene either in Caye Caulker or down south in fabulous Placencia - GREAT BEACHES, excellent snorkeling (laughing bird caye, etc), and especially the really "Indiana Jones" Maya site of Mayflower and the only jaguar sanctuary in the Western Hemisphere in Maya Mountain Cockscomb Basin. In a week, you can truly see some of the best of this amazing little country. But you have to plan right and take advantage of good timings on your tours. Operators do an "all inclusive" on those tours - transportation, entrance fees, lunch/sodas/juices/bottled water, guides, etc). And yes, a map of Belize is a good idea - it's available in shops at about $20 and has great and exact details (a Canadian group produces the best map).

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Champagne Island Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,116 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Planning in Belize

I'm going to respectfully disagree. I'm just not a city person. Even though Belize City isn't a large city, it's still urban. I'd much rather spend my 'jungle' time at a jungle lodge. Probably one of those around San Ignacio. I also really like the town of San Ignacio.

I personally love Ambergris Caye, but I realize it's getting busier and more developed. There's alot to be said for Caulker, Placencia, and Hopkins as well.

Mentioned in this post
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
Hopkins
Hopkins
Stann Creek, Belize
British Chic in...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Planning in Belize

I understand - San Ignacio does have some spectacular lodges - even the San Ignacio hotel "on the hill" boasts a jungle setting (with an iguana hatchery!!! Or try Log Cab-Inns. Top hotel I would think is probably Chaa Creek - beautiful place by the Macal River, and a stone's throw away from Xunantunich Maya site and the border with Gautemala, for the famous Tikal excursion. Or you may go to Francis Ford Coppola's lodge in the mountain pine ridge - Blancaneaux Lodge). Cave Tubing can be done from that district as well (zipline included). Be aware that the Best Western Biltmore is on the highway outside urban Belize city, and there is the new airport hotel ten miles up the highway. What a selection!!! Tell us how it is going, will ya??

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Milton, Delaware
Level Contributor
375 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Planning in Belize

I agree with getting out of Belize City. It's still a city and there is so much more to see and do out in the country. I also agree that Chaa Creek is terrific. San Ignacio is nice for the cultural experience but for overnight I like the jungle resorts. Placencia is a favorite place of mine. For upscale close in check out Turtle Inn and Chabil Mar Villas. Very different properties so depends on what you want. Turtle Inn is a super resort and like all resorts has excellent bedroom accomodations. No A/C or TV or telephone if that is what you want. Chabil Mar Villas are all suites with full kitchens and family room area with A/C, TV and telephone and wireless internet in the Suite.

Check them out. Super places in a terrific village, in my book.

Seattle, Washington
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour Planning in Belize

My new suggestion for the best resort in Placencia is Laru Beya, check out the reviews here on tripadvisor. Cheaper and better than the Turtle Inn to my standards, and the restaurant is a clear win. Only about six entrees on the menu each day, but the chef, Troy, is flexible and happy to work with any food restrictions. And the service is very friendly and pleasant.

Silk Caye and Laughing Bird Caye are both relatively short trips from Placencia and are amazing for snorkeling and scuba. Diving along the barrier reef cannot be adequately described, it's flat out amazing.

Mentioned in this post
Silk Caye
Silk Caye
206 Reviews
Placencia, Belize
5. Re: Tour Planning in Belize

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 18:16