We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing from shore

Nebraska
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing from shore

In placencia or San Pedro area would it be worth bringing a handline or small pole to fish from shore or a dock? Not looking for barracuda or anything big, it’s my first trip to the CAribbean so any sea life would be cool to see and I thought it’d be a nice way to pass time while the wife lounges on the beach or something. And if the answer to this is yes can you recommend what type of setup to bring?

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
7 replies to this topic
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing from shore

Yes. Bring rod and shiny tackle. Sorry, im not sure about tess or license etc.fishing is good off beach by docks at southern end of placencia. We bought small snapper and a grouper from a local. I would talk with local fishermen before throwing your line in, ask if ok, since you are fishing from their food source. Im sure you'll be welcomed, but courtesy goes a long way. Worth bringing your gear. Good luck and hope im not too late posting this.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing from shore

Thanks! Heading there in a couple weeks, maybe bring along a breakdown pole or something like that. Thanks again

Indian Springs...
Level Contributor
246 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing from shore

You definitely have to have a fishing license in Belize, go here - https://apps.coastalzonebelize.org/

You may not get checked fishing from a dock or off the shore-but you might. I would bring light tackle and a 2-piece rod in a rod tube. You may be able to catch some bone fish or snook, or possibly even a tarpon. You probably aren't going to get grouper or snapper unless you go out to the reef.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing from shore

Thanks, I’m not looking for anything huge or even a meal. I just enjoy fishing and have never been to the Caribbean so just pulling in and taking pics of some cool looking stuff would work for me :) I have a 3 piece like I can bring along with some castmasters, rooster tails, and all around stuff like that that takes very little space. Probably just stick with the six pound line that’s on there so not looking for a whopper.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
461 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing from shore

Joe S. we catch snapper in the lagoon almost every time we fish even from shore.

you can try the lures, but we have not had luck with them. Pick up some shrimp. Loads of catfish in the lagoon, but it's best to keep them in a bucket of water a few days to get rid of the muddy taste..g

good luck!

Edited: 10 June 2018, 23:23
Nebraska
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing from shore

Thank you. For snapper is it fishing shrimp on the bottom or slow retrieve or ? I also plan to just bring some shiny artificial baits as well to maybe entice some other species.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
461 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing from shore

Msteffl, on the bottom. We are up the lagoon in Maya Beach. down at the south end in the village, they catch many different species. My Son did catch a puffer fish & a ray last week. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Maya Beach Hotel
Maya Beach Hotel
712 Reviews
Placencia, Belize
Reply to: Fishing from shore
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted