We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Conditions

Sammamish...
Level Contributor
338 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Conditions

We understood when going to Belize (with stops in Placencia, Ambergris Caye, and a jungle lodge near San Ignacio) that one does not go to Belize expecting beaches like Mexico or Hawaii, and the beach was mostly as expected, with heavy sea grass near shore on Ambergris Caye. We choose Placencia for the last stop on our vacation, because it was supposed to have among the nicest beach in Belize, we were expecting some see grass, but also less than on the Caye. I wish I could attach photos here, and may with a hotel review, but not only was the sea grass worse than the Caye, the garbage among the sea grass was really bad, and unappealing. I've been to many third-world beaches with lots of pollution, but this was worse. I may, regrettably, knock a "star" off my otherwise great hotel review for this, as when one goes to a beach hotel (and with "beach" in its name), even in belize, one does have some expectations. I'm not saying I would not return to Placencia, or even that hotel, but I would have no expectations of swimming in the ocean there.

Mentioned in this post
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
San Ignacio
San Ignacio
Cayo, Belize
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Belize
Belize
Central America
8 replies to this topic
Barre, Vermont
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Conditions

I'm sorry to read this, and a bit discouraged. We are heading to Placencia in a few weeks.

Mentioned in this post
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,433 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Conditions

Im in Placencia now with some sargassum, but little garbage. Don't diminish the hotel rating because ocean currents are moving naturally occurring sargassum and illegally dumped plastics from east to west. There are huge islands of plastic garbage floating in our seas and its everyone's problem and responsibility to contain, Sorry it diminished your experience, I understand.

Mentioned in this post
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Sammamish...
Level Contributor
338 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Conditions

I've just added a review to Caribbean Beach Cabanas (an otherwise wonderful spot) , with photos so folks can be their own judge. But based on my experience, and conversations with others, there is (or maybe was, if it's passed) a several month stretch in 2018 where most folks would not swim in the water at the main beach / hotel stretch. Though I did not see these older forum post until this week, there were a few other posts a couple years ago, when people were saying (due to beach garbage) they would not return to Placencia even if it was free. Now despote the garbage, we like the "vibe" of the area, and might indeed return, but with different expectations.

Mentioned in this post
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Conditions

arf1410 ,

The pics you posted, are they directly in front of CBC? The one pic shows a build up of sargussm / sea weed etc. Was it always like that?

We stayed in Roatan 2 years ago and there were short periods of time that is was bad, but the resort was always clearing it. Can you please provide more details?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Sammamish...
Level Contributor
338 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Conditions

yes, it was directly in front of the hotel, but really not just this hotel - that entire stretch of beach. I found the garbage more offensive than the seagrass. While I saw the sand being regularly cleaned, I did not see any effort anywhere to clean up the waterline seagrass and garbage, which is too bad, because I think that it would have been helpful, as opposed to a never-ending mess.

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,291 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Conditions

ohhh..I hope those currents are moving stuff away for our April trip.

we did Ambergris two years ago and chose placencia this time really mostly for the beaches and that they would be in great condition like the pix and videos we had been seeing so often. We know we can't change it and will have a great vacation no matter what but...am still hopeful that we get the beaches we have seen online as we are in the same general area of CBC's......

Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Conditions

Hi! I am wondering about the sea grass and if it is a "seasonal" thing. We are planning to go in early August and we are wondering if it is usually gone by then or will it always be there. Our purpose for going is to be able to swim right off the beach with the kids.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Conditions

Overall in the past two weeks the conditions have improved from a month or two ago, some days are still worse than others. We had a day earlier last week, where the beaches were almost entirely clear, but then it returned the next day.

CBC does an excellent job of cleaning the beach in front of their property. I just swam in from of their resort there 3 days ago as their beach was totally clear.

Tipsy Tuna also tries to clear their beach every day and they do an excellent job as well. Its just seems like it is a never-ending battle sometimes.

Mentioned in this post
Tipsy Tuna
Tipsy Tuna
134 Reviews
Placencia, Belize
Reply to: Beach Conditions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted