We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandflies

New York, NY
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Sandflies

Hello, we are going to Palencia in late December of this year (I know a long time away). What is the best repellent against Sandflies? They sound awful!

8 replies to this topic
Caribbean
Level Contributor
8,219 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandflies

Avon Skin So Soft seems to be a product that works. I think it works as a physical barrier more than a repellent. Do a search of the forum for lots of posts about this topic.

Edited: 24 March 2018, 20:20
Great Smoky...
Level Contributor
68 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandflies

We didn't have much trouble with the sandflies in September in Belize; but we did use this product in St. Thomas in August; and it worked famously. Not bad to put on...very thorough...not too bad smelling...lovely. IT WORKS. There's also a spray version that we bought but haven't yet tried.

https://www.avon.com/product/skin-so-soft-bu…

-Stephanie

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
461 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandflies

Sandflies can not penetrate oil. Coconut oil is cheap here, baby oil works too. I don't like to use it but it is much better than getting bit. If you're not laying out at dawn or dusk, you only need it on your legs.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,781 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandflies

Avoidance is a good option as well. They seem to bite primarily at dusk & dawn so avoiding the beach then would help.

I have used coconut oil, which works because it forms a barrier they can't bite through since they are so small. However, slathering yourself with coconut oil and being in the sun is not a good mix. I only put it on once it's later in the day and I' not out in the sun.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandflies

Thanks! In your experience, does deet work for sandflies? Or not really...

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,303 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandflies

Seems to depend on the person. Helps me, but, I don't react anyway, though, they're still annoying

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
461 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandflies

Deet does not work for me for sandflies

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,781 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandflies

I don't typically use deet, usually opting for picaridin instead and that doesn't seem to help.

Reply to: Sandflies
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted