We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buses to Placencia from Cayo/St Ignacio or taxi?

London, United...
Level Contributor
738 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Buses to Placencia from Cayo/St Ignacio or taxi?

Which is the preferred method of transport between these places? We have been quoted $220 for a cab but this seems alot!

Mobile AL
Level Contributor
312 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buses to Placencia from Cayo/St Ignacio or taxi?

I have heard that the drive south of Dangriga (spelling?) can be difficult. We are in the same situation for July. Just checked Maya Air and Tropic air. They can fly you from Dangriga for around $41.00 one way. We may consider taking the bus from San Ignacio and catching a flight the rest of the way. Any other advice would be welcome. We are also considering going to Hopkins, AC or CC for the water part of our trip.

Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buses to Placencia from Cayo/St Ignacio or taxi?

We just got back from a trip, where we rented a car out of Placencia for a daytrip to Xunantunich near St. Ignatio. It was $90 USD/day for a serviceable (if tired) Chevy Tracker. Petrol was $5 USD/gal. We found two rentals in Placencia, one near the airport, and one in the village. Be sure to get reservations; they do fill up. The paved highways are good, though the 25 mile dirt road from Southern highway to Placencia is an hour of bone-jarring hell. But I'd still drive it again, I'm used to washboard gravel roads.

3. Re: Buses to Placencia from Cayo/St Ignacio or taxi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Placencia
Recent Conversations