We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avadon Divers

prince albert
Level Contributor
439 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Avadon Divers

My wife and I were fortunate enough to spend 2 days with Avadon Divers on our recent trip to Belize. Just want to let everyone know that if you are looking for a top quality experience from the time you book your dive till you get off the boat, these are the people to do it with. Words alone cannot express the gratitude we feel after the fantastic 2 days we spent with the owners and staff. If you are travelling to Placencia and unsure which operator to go diving with, I highly recommend Avadon divers.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avadon Divers

I caqn confirm that they run one of the best operations around, good equipment and great attention to detail.

canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avadon Divers

I also had two great days with Avadon divers .When diving it is most important to use only the best in Outfitters and that is Avadon .

Good gear new equipment well taken care of, excellent Dive Masters

Thank you for some superb dive sites and of course the Blue Hole was awesome

Tony Henderson

Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Avadon Divers

You may also try Spash Divers who are also an excellent dive shop running out of Placencia

Patty is a Padi Course director and is extremely helpful and personable

there website is www.SplashBelize.com

Gaz Cooper

NYC
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avadon Divers

Did you guys do the Discover Scuba Diving Class, which is for non-certified people? I am trying to get more info on that

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
427 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avadon Divers

I would highly discourage anyone from using Avalon. I had a confirmed booked trip with Avalon (I have multiple emails showing this) and they cancelled my trip the day before. They said they did not get enough people to go out and it would cost too much for them to take my wife and I out. Keep in mind they clearly knew (months in advanced) that our sole purpose of going to Placencia was to Dive Glovers Atoll. They confirmed our dive regardless of the number of people—this was discussed in advanced. We lost $900 by flying over, renting a car and hotel. They didn’t care one bit. Avalon’s word is useless. I can assure you that you will find better dive shops in Placencia. Support the local economy and dive with a local own shop.

Placencia
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Avadon Divers

We are so sorry that you had this unfortunate experience with us. In our communication leading up to your visit, we explained that it was best not to visit Placencia for one day in the hopes to dive Glovers Reef. We advised that you plan to have at least a 2-day window. When it comes to planning days of diving anywhere in the world, it is best to have at least one contingency day. You opted not to bear that in mind. We were aware that you were diving in San Pedro before you planned to come to Placencia. We attempted to contact you in San Pedro 2 days before about the change of schedule, but we were not successful. We did go to Glovers the day after with all whom were available to dive. Unfortunately, you were not available. We placed you with another dive operation that was doing a local dive, and you were able to dive on the one day you had for diving. We know it was not the dive of your choice. We understand your frustration, but it would not have been possible to go to Glovers Reef with only 2 persons. It is also unfortunate that you did not get the chance to experience our full service diving, and that your report is based only on your inability to do a dive trip with us because of the reasons stated above. You did e-mail me after you returned home and expressed your disappointment. I responded with sincere apologies, offered you a free trip to Glovers Reef upon your return to Placencia, and advised you to plan on spending more time here when you visited again. We look forward to your return visit to Placencia.

All The Best – Anne-Marie McNeil

prince albert
Level Contributor
439 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avadon Divers

I guess this proves the saying, "you can't please all the people, all the time"

Think about what you were expecting - a 46ft luxery dive boat to take 2 people on a day trip. The money wouldn't even pay for the fuel. There is no doubt in my mind Anne Marie, Phillip or Mike would have made it perfectly clear there needed to be a certain amount of divers to make the trip.

I stand by my original post, Avadon (not Avalon) Divers are great and I would recommend them to anyone.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
427 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avadon Divers

Sandmann66,

I will send you emails that I received in writing from Avadon stating that I was confirmed regardless of the number of people.

I am glad that you had a great time. A matter of fact--I heard great things about Avadon that is why i tried to book with them. I have dove with nearly every dive shop in Belize--my worse experience was the one I had (or did not have) with Avadon.

Again--Avadon did not honor their word. That is the point I am trying to make.

United States
Level Contributor
781 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avadon Divers

Auddy, in Placencia, I am almost certain that ALL of the dive companies are forced to cancel trips at the last minute cause they can't round up enough divers to not lose money. And they ALL say ok, you are confirmed so if people listen to you and go with someone other than Avadon because of this really immaterial reason, they still have the chance of getting their trip canceled after its "confirmed" while they might not be going with a company that provides fantastic service and equipment.

Seahorse did the EXACT same thing to me except unlike Avadon did for you, Seahorse didn't tell me at ALL that they were canceling the trip. I didn't know until I got to Seahorse's dock that morning and they said "oh sorry, trips canceled". Had they had the courtesy Avadon had with you and warned me one day in advance, I could have gone out with Splash that morning (I ended up being too late for that cause their boat had already left the shore by the time I got there).

I've heard from a number of locals that Avadon is not only the best dive company in Placencia, but all of Belize. From my own experiences (2 whale shark trips), both their service and equipment are top notch and what the locals were saying seemed to be true. Splash seemed to be the second choice, after Avadon (though I don't think - don't quote me on it though - Splash has as big a boat as Avadon - and size does matter when it comes to boats and comfort).

For people that are considering a diving/snorkeling trip to Belize, I would recommend the following:

1. Ask not just if you are "confirmed" for the trip but if they already have enough people that the boat is definitely going out

2. Don't just reserve just one day for a dive/snorkel trip you absolutely must do before you leave Belize. You can easily be disappointed both because of lack of customers and weather conditions

3. Before you book, find out about how good a company's equipment,boats, and service are (you can both post here and email the companies themselves to find out what equipment they have). Also, iIf you do a search for "scuba forum", you'll find a forum where it seems like nearly all the diving companies will post on (and their screen names let you know its them). They seem to like to post about the advantages of their own company and the disavantages of others and from what I've seen, they do post the truth cause the others would call them out on it otherwise. That was a very informative forum for me when it came to learning more about the companies.

Also, FYI, I was in Belize in May during whale shark season. The diving companies had a lot of business in Placencia because of whale shark season but they were extremely slow in Ambergris. I suspect business in is actually very slow in all of Belize (even Placencia though I couldn't tell cause it was peak season) so these types of cancellations may become more frequent. So I strongly urge my recommendation #1.

Edited: 21 May 2010, 18:20
10. Re: Avadon Divers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2010, 05:15