We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chabil Mar vs Turtle Inn

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
Chabil Mar vs Turtle Inn

My wife and I are planning our 10-year anniversary trip to Belize and want to be near Placencia during part of our stay. We have narrowed our search to Chabil Mar or Turtle Inn. We are leaning towards Chabil Mar since there is AC, enhanced pools, the food seems to be more to our liking and has better reviews, and it is closer to Placencia Village. Originally, we were intrigued by the romantic accomodations Turtle Inn has with its Seafront Cottages- private with thatched roof, beautiful decor, and outdoor shower. Anyone recommend one over the other?

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Chabil Mar vs Turtle Inn

Two very different but good options, both next to each other. CM is an upscale condo hotel. it does not have a restaurant, but has a kitchen that serves meals in your room or around the pool. It has a/c and tv. TI is distinctively designed with individual cabanas, 3 or 4 restaurants on property, two pools, spa, elegant laid back atmosphere with lots of attention to detail and has its own dive shop and trip center.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,482 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Chabil Mar vs Turtle Inn

I've only walked by the two properties, never stayed in either. Chabil Mar looks very nice, appears to be a nice condo property that could pretty much be anywhere.....

Turtle Inn is beautiful. The beachfront units are stunning. We wandered through the property and one of the restaurants. Looks very nice, although I understand the food isn't great.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
3. Re: Chabil Mar vs Turtle Inn

I love Chabil Mar, and the 2 pools are great. It's a nice walk to Placencia proper from there too. TI is beautiful, but their food is the worst I've had in Belize, by far, and I've given them multiple chances. CM's layout is great, and you have all the amenities there.

Good luck!

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Chabil Mar vs Turtle Inn

If you like good food, Maya Beach Bistro is truly excellent, I also like Rumfish in town, French Connection sadly gone. I love Turtle Inn, but agree the food is not great. It isn't the worst I've had in Belize by a long shot though! Doc, you don;t get out enough LOL!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
5. Re: Chabil Mar vs Turtle Inn

Thanks for the feedback! If we stayed in a Seafront cottage at Turtle Inn to catch ocean breezes, would we be comfortable in late June/early July? We are very attracted to the beautiful and unique cottages they offer, but are somewhat concerned with no AC and many bugs getting into our room. We plan to eat most meals (except for breakfast) on excursions or in Placencia Village. Because of this, the food is not a huge concern.

Milton, Delaware
Level Contributor
375 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Chabil Mar vs Turtle Inn

Just got back a couple of weeks ago. July and August isn't necessarily very hot, around 90 most days, but the humidity is very high. If you enjoy A/C at home you would probably want it in Belize for sleeping. That being said, as everyone says, TI and Chabil Mar are two totally different accommodation options. I am a CM fan because of the beautiful landscape, guest exclusive policy and, by the way, they serve all meals on their pier or on the beach too. They serve you anywhere on the property. Love it there and you can rent a golf cart on-site, or bike (complimentary) from their five minutes to the village to eat whenever you want.

Anyway, I am prejudiced so I only have terrific things to say about Chabil Mar. TI certainly is beautiful too, of course.

7. Re: Chabil Mar vs Turtle Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 06:16