We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dangriga or Placencia-looking for relaxing w/some adventure

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Dangriga or Placencia-looking for relaxing w/some adventure

I have been reading through all the forums and still can't make a decision.

We will be 2 couples in our early 30s, we are traveling in March 2012. We want to spend time relaxing but also "light" adventure - all with some luxury. That's not too much to ask for, right?

I have looked in Placencia at Chabil Mar. I like the proximity to town which I'm hoping means it would be easier to find tour companies. The property seems nice, but I'm not sure about the dining. Is it easy to order food? And you can you eat anywhere? Is the food delivered and you are served?

The other location in Belize I have checked out is Dangrigia. I like both Coco Plum Caye and Pelican Beach. I like that they both offer packages for island and inland exploring. Having all the meals included also seems like one less thing to worry about while on vacation! With these 2, I'm worried about being so secluded. I like seclusion, but at Coco Plum...what if we don't like the 16 other people we are stuck on an island with?!?

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Dangriga or Placencia-looking for relaxing w/some adventure

CM has a private kitchen for guests only and serve in your room or around the pool. There are many other restaurants in the village, about 2 miles away. Turtle Inn next door has 4 restaurants on property. CCP Caye is off Dangriga. Pelican has a hotel on the beach on the edge of Dangriga town and an inn on South Water Caye, on the reef with walk in snorkeling. CCP caye is not on the reef and you'll need a boat for snorkeling. You'll have to decide if seclusion at one of these cayes is better for you than staying in Placencia, or elsewhere, and have options for dining and easier access to mainland day trips.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Dangriga or Placencia-looking for relaxing w/some adventure

Sounds like you would enjoy Placencia. Organising trips etc is absolutly no trouble, nor is finding good places to eat. Chabil Mar has some of the best trou guides working for them, or if you wnat something more exclusive still you can organise a tailor made adventure with, for example, Barebones Tours, including overnight jungle or caye "survival" adventures.

Please don't end up with effectively everything in a package, Belize is about enjoying the whole experience and discovering for yourself, not having everthing handed to you on a plate.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
3. Re: Dangriga or Placencia-looking for relaxing w/some adventure

I've stayed at CM, and loved it. The kids loved the 2 pools too. It was a nice walk along the beach to get to Placencia proper. We loved having a kitchen so we could cook on the fly anytime we were hungry. I agree with Belziequeen in that you should allow yourself some leeway in regards to food. There are so many great places to eat all over Belize that I can't imagine limiting it. Besides, if you like the food at a place, you can continue to eat there as much as you like.

Edited: 04 October 2011, 04:57
4. Re: Dangriga or Placencia-looking for relaxing w/some adventure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 17:16