We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do cell phones from US work?

Which Placencia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
103 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Do cell phones from US work?

We'll be staying near Maya Beach end of February. The house we rented (I'm told) has a cell phone but I have to assume it's for local use only. Our service is through Sprint here. I read somewhere we have to "activate" our phone somewhere near the airport? Don't plan to make alot of calls home but will want to check in once or twice.

Any idea about rates? Any info on this topic will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do cell phones from US work?

Hi Beachlover,

In order to use your phone you will need to contact Sprint and inquire about their international plans for Belize. I have AT&T but have found it can be very expensive (over $3 minute). So you'll want to make sure you have your data/roaming turned off while traveling otherwise you might get a big bill you weren't expecting.

Another cheaper option is to sign up for Skype. As long as you find a WIFI hotspot you can call home without the big cell phone bill. If you have a computer it also offers video chat which is fun with family.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/home

Hope this helps!

Jim

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,746 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do cell phones from US work?

BTL blocks Skype. There's a way around it, I don't know what it is.

If your Belize cell phone is a pay as you go, you can call the US for a fairly reasonable amount. Less than US$1.00 a minute, sometimes much less.

RapidCity,SD
Level Contributor
28 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do cell phones from US work?

We have Verizons phones and they only worked to make local (Belize) calls. We could not call or text home. I think you need to contact Sprint before you leave the US and have them activate/set up your phone to work in Belize.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do cell phones from US work?

try gtalk if everyone has puters

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,746 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do cell phones from US work?

My Verizon phone works here. The cost to text isn't bad, but international calling is too expensive for me.

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do cell phones from US work?

BTL has managed to block Google's VOIP too.

If your accommodation has a pre-paid Belize cell phone and you are only calling home once or twice, I don't imagine the cost will be so prohibitive that you need to worry about it. Because long distance charges are lower in the evenings and on weekends I was able to talk to our son in Canada for 40 minutes last night for about $20BZ.

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do cell phones from US work?

We rented a cell phone with our rental car from Budget (offices at the international airport and in Placencia)...

Don't know if they will rent a phone without a car rental, but you can email them.

http://www.budget-belize.com/

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
103 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do cell phones from US work?

Thanks for all your input. We called Sprint & suppsedly have it set up to work--guess we'll find out when we get there! We can always email but my husband wants to "talk" to his Mom! Me, I don't have anyone at home I need to communicate with that I can't do without for a week.!

Thanks again!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do cell phones from US work?

I really wouldn't recommend using your phone here. It can be upwards of $5us a minute. Get a $5bz SMART card here, and put it on someone's phone, and use their phone. You'll be able to talk for the better part of 10 minutes.

10. Re: Do cell phones from US work?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2013, 10:20