We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM Machines

Denver, Colorado
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ATM Machines

Read in an older post that ATM's dispense Belize dollars. Can someone more recent confirm this? I thought machines usually gave you the option of local curency or USD. Also, as a travel tip, I have found getting an ATM only card specifically issued for a separate savings account is a good and safe way to access funds in lieu of using credit cards. I have one issued for my wife and I just in case something happens to one of them.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM Machines

Yes, ATMs here dispense BZ$.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM Machines

There isn't a choice, it's only $bz. You'll find plenty of ATM's to choose from though.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,566 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM Machines

I've never seen an ATM in Belize that dispenses US dollars.

I've read again and again not to use the ones in Mexico that do dispense US dollars. The fees for the exchange from dollars to pesos to dollars is astronomical. I would guess this might be true of any bank machine dispensing foreign currency.

Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM Machines

I have found that not all ATMs in Belize will work at all with my US card. Every one that I have used dispensed $BZ. I had one scarey experience that worked out okay. I put my card into the machine at Caye Bank and the card just kind of fell into the machine. I then realized that they were servicing the machine and I then got a panicy feeling thta I was not going to be able to get my card back. Almost immediately, a nice banker came out and handed me my card. In the US I might not have gotten my card back.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
356 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM Machines

Okay, I'm going to sound really stupid, but I live in the dark ages and do not use ATMs. I know I can use one with my bank account, but do they also work with credit cards?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM Machines

time to get an ATM card

Kansas City
Level Contributor
356 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM Machines

"time to get an ATM card"

Don't you mean time to leave the dark ages and enter the 21st century? :)

Going by the bank later today.

Denver, Colorado
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM Machines

Thanks everyone. So BZ$ it is except what USD I have on me.

FYI, I had no problem in MX with ATM card and never paid a fee larger than $6 USD to withdraw $200 USD equivalent in Pesos. Always use Pesos in MX if you can to get the most for your money. And I set up the ATM tied to the savings account to avoid any possiblities of anything affecting my checking account. Has worked perfect so far. Fingers crossed for my Belize trip.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,566 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM Machines

I never have a problem with ATM's in Mexico either. I was talking about the horrible fees if you withdraw US dollars from an ATM machine in Mexico. That's where the huge fees come in.

I wouldn't use a credit card in an ATM machine. You will probably be immediately charged interest, such as you would be for a cash advance.

Our very first trip to Ambergris, I had to get a cash advance. No ATM's on the island back then (about 10 years ago) that accepted US dollars. We under estimated what our trip would cost, since my husband did several fishing excursions that weren't budgeted for. I went to three banks before I found one that would give me cash. Took all morning. Life is so much easier on the island now......at least in terms of available cash.

Denver, Colorado
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: ATM Machines

Yes, I've always read to use credit cards as little as possible and as a last resort. And that it's always better to try and use the local currency. Thanks again for everyones responses. Looking forward to my trip.