We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December in Placencia

Which Placencia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
December in Placencia

It's been about 10 years since I've been to Belize, and I have longed to return since I last left. I travelled solo last time to Placencia (been there twice now), and absolutely fell in love with the place. I don't know what it was, but for some reason I just felt like I was 'at home' there, and I hated leaving both times I visited. All these years since then, no matter where I have been, I've never felt that peace and serenity. I don't recall what time of year it was, but it was very quiet with not too many tourists when I was there last. What I'm wondering is if it has changed a lot in the last 10 years. I notice just from research on the Internet that some major resort-type development seems to have taken place, and I'm wondering if I will think it has lost its small village appeal.

I'm planning on making a trip down mid-December, primarily to see if still feels like 'home' to me, as I want to live there or someplace similar one day. Will it be pretty much deserted at that time, or will tourist season begin picking up? Do you think there will be other solo travelers around?

Thanks!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December in Placencia

Xmas travel begins to ramp up around Dec 18 and onwards and you should be able to meet other people to hang and share trips with. Yes, the peninsula has undergone changes in the past 10 yrs, some good, some so-so, depending on who you ask, most who will say for the benefit of the community.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
62 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: December in Placencia

There have been many changes, especially after Hurricane Iris. Rebuilding..more buildings. Most of the bigger resorts are still a ways out of town. There are many more restaurants and shops, but it still has the "village feel" The road is paved, so when it rains its not so muddy! The beach is still beautiful and does not feel crowded!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: December in Placencia

Placencia proper is still great, and feels rustic. The peninsula is...less than nice with that monstrosity on it, and some of the mc-mansions. But they are far enough up, and nobody really goes there due to the reviews anyways, so they aren't really an issue.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: December in Placencia

Thanks to the 3 of you for the help! I can't wait. Now I'm planning to do an extended trek through Belize, probably Caye Caulker, San Ignacio, Hopkins / Placencia so I'll start a new topic ...

5. Re: December in Placencia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 06:17