We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Placencia with a 4 yr old?

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
57 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Placencia with a 4 yr old?

HELP!!!

We really want to go to Belize but can't figure if it's right for us. I love the idea of going to the jungle and ruins but also want a beach vacation.

We thought of going to Amberge Caye (sp?) but we found out that there aren't too many places with a actual beach that our son can walk into the water. Since he doesn't swim yet we really wanted to find a nice soft white sand beach, that's CLEAN and he can walk in and swim/play. So I started to think about Honduras or Placencia?

We want to stay in a resort or condo that has amenities like a pool and restaurant and also be able to walk to restaurants and shops.

Does anyone have any good suggestions that might work for us?

I

Thanks!!!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,331 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Placencia with a 4 yr old?

As I said before, the beaches at Ramon's and Banyan Bay have nice walk in swimming. And, the beach at Caribbean Villas is fine for a toddler to play in the water.

The beaches in Placencia are pretty, but, the water isn't Caribbean blue, and the sand isn't white.

I'd look hard at the above mentioned places.

I've never been to Honduras, can't help with that.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
57 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Placencia with a 4 yr old?

OK, Got it! I will look into both of those places again. Thanks so much!

Seattle
Level Contributor
365 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Placencia with a 4 yr old?

Jeanh, Can you recommend a very nice place to stay at Ramon's and

Banyan Beach? We have a 5 year old. Also, do you recommend staying spliting Amberge Caye and Palencia? We have 6 nights, not including travel days. So maybe three days each? We would like to visit some mayan ruins, and do same cave exploring.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,331 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Placencia with a 4 yr old?

Ramon's and Banyan Bay are resorts. Of the two, I prefer the beach at Ramon's, but, the facilities at Banyan Bay.

Most if not all the units at Banyan Bay are two bedroom condos. The one unit I've been in is very, very nice.

Ramon's has a few suites, but, most are hotel rooms. Lots of wood and thatched roofs. It makes the rooms sort of dark. Popular place though.

To be honest, if I wanted some caving and Mayan sites, I'd stay in the San Ignacio area for a couple of days, then head to one of the beach destinations. Otherwise, the trips to ruins and caves are going to be pretty long for a five year old.

Back to talking about Ambergris, you don't have to stay at either place mentioned to use their beach. All beaches are public. The Palms, which is right next door to Ramon's has very nice condos.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Placencia with a 4 yr old?

You could split mainland and beach or Ambergris and Placencia beach, which is close to the mainland day trips including Maya site/cave in one day

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
115 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Placencia with a 4 yr old?

I think Placencia is the better choice with a four year old. Not as many tourists and crowds. True you cannot walk off the beach very far into the water anywhere on the mainlands before coming to turtle grass but with a four year old I doubt you would be going into water any deeper than 18in. to 2ft. anyway and you will have sand at those points. If you want to be close to Placencia Village check out www.placencia.com for a list of resorts near the village. Chabil Mar is 3/4 of a mile from the village center and villa accommodations with full kitchens and two infinity pools and right on the beach, restaurant services etc. www.chabilmar.com. There are other options around the village.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Placencia with a 4 yr old?

Whether you chose SP or Placencia, I think depends mostly upon what you prefer personally. SP is much faster paced with more night light life. Placencia is more laid back and a bit less intensely developed (for now), but developed enough to have quite a few good lodging and dining options.

If you consider Honduras, then I think some of the resorts on the West End of Roatan would probably be good choices for a family beach vacation.

8. Re: Placencia with a 4 yr old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 01:17