We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Shark's at Gladden Spit - Is Snorkeling worth it?

Which Placencia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Whale Shark's at Gladden Spit - Is Snorkeling worth it?

Hello!

So I know a lot of people go to see the Whale Sharks at Gladden Spit, and I will be there during the full moon period at the end of March / beginning of April. Now I know a lot of dive shops in Placenia offer dive and snorkel trips out there, but can you really see much snorkeling? It seems all of the people who have reviewed their experience online were divers and not snorkelers, so I am very curious. Now I know the Whale Sharks might not even be there on any given day, but if they are there, will they be possibly too deep for me to see? Or will the surface of the ocean be too rough to make snorkeling enjoyable? Any feedback would be helpful!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,872 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Shark's at Gladden Spit - Is Snorkeling worth it?

Imposssible to predict,but sometimes the divers don't see them and the snorkelers do,or vice versa or none at all

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Shark's at Gladden Spit - Is Snorkeling worth it?

I dive, my wife snorkels, and yes it is worth it. My wife got within 15 yards of one. She used to be afraid, now were going back. Have been going the last few years. Avadon divers are top notch.....

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Shark's at Gladden Spit - Is Snorkeling worth it?

Indeed Avadon Divers are top notch. There boat is booked. It is very difficult to get a seat on a whale shark expedition on short notice. One must book well in advance. I want to think there are one or two slots open however. Check the dive shops or tour operators.

4. Re: Whale Shark's at Gladden Spit - Is Snorkeling worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2014, 04:15