We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birding in Placencia?

Which Placencia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
6 posts
Save Topic
Birding in Placencia?

Any suggestions for companies who offer birding tours out of Placencia, Belize? Full day? Half day? Any great tour guides?

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,752 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Birding in Placencia?

Here's a list of Placencia Area Licensed Guides. A couple of them list birding as their specialty.

www.placenciabreeze.com/licensedguides.html

Placencia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Birding in Placencia?

I like Basilio Mes from www.exoticbelize.com

Punta Negra
Level Contributor
53 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birding in Placencia?

Christian Bech of Kiskadee Tours specializes in birding. He resides a bit south of Placencia but can easily arrange tours starting there. His contact information is as follows: chr.bech@yahoo.com #: 670-0498

Gasquet
Level Contributor
69 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birding in Placencia?

My vote.....Adrian Vernon

If you Google his name, you will find he is above well respected in the field of birds, and mangroves. I don't understand why he is not on MrBs list, unless he is also known as Ian.[Vernon]

Anyways...Adrian Vernon took us on an early am tour to find scarlet macaws....and, there is no assurance that this will happen...but, yes, we had three different flocks fly over us!!! If that had not happened, it would have been a day in paradise anyway....

Adrian spotted lots of other local birds, he was well organized. and knew the land and the birds like the back of his hand....he does not wear shoes...his feet are unlike any you have seen!! he tromps on big thick pads he has built...

Adrian has family friends within the Mayan community there....he took us to his friends homes...Mayan....with the best corn tortillas ever, and a chance to buy local basket weaving.

I have traveled all over Belize, and explored lots of day trips,.....the day with Adrian was one of he best!!!

Our trip ended in a sweet tube float down a cool creek.

Cannot recommend him enough!

Placencia, Belize
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Birding in Placencia?

Kiskadee Tours chr.bech@yahoo.com specializes in birding, but also do many other tours, nature hikes etc,

I can can do several days, full day or half day. Birding here is best at first sunlight, so we start early and a full day birding is usually finish around 1-2 pm. I can be contacted on the above e-mail address and phone 501-670 0498

Christian Bech

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birding in Placencia?

Unfortunately the list on the link provided by Mr. B is not up to date. However most of the people on that list are probably licensed. I know the Placencia.com site in being updated, but that may be another resource for getting a list of tour operator or guides that can help arrange your birding activity.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,788 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birding in Placencia?

David Vernon of Toadal Adventures is a great naturalist and birding guide

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
882 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Birding in Placencia?

What about the northern part of the country---we are staying near BC and are interested in a bird guide in that area--(this May).

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,788 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Birding in Placencia?

Rudy Burgos is great or stay in Crooked Tree

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
882 posts