We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing and snorkeling

25 miles north of...
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing and snorkeling

What can I expect to pay for deep sea fishing and who should I contact ? My wife and I also spend alot of time snorkeling and are hopeing we can find some good spots right from shore.Any suggestions of good locations or are we going to have to hire a boat(at what costs?) to get to the reef??

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing and snorkeling

Guided fishing trips are spendy, about $350 per day a few years ago as I recall. These are for light tackle or fly fihsing near shore and at the neaby cayes. Remember, the main barrier reef is about 20 miles out from Placencia, and there is lots of good light tackle fishing along the coast and cayes, so guides dont typically run out to the reef from Placencia.

By "deep sea" do you mean offshore big game fishing? Belize is not a hot spot for big game fishing and thus I dont know of anyone who runs this type of fishing charter. You can catch the occassional bill fish offshore, but it is not common. There are however some good spots for Wahoo along the reef.

Belize is however world renowed for some of its fly fishing areas, like Turneffe atoll.

Re snorkeling from shore. There is some decent snorkeling around Placencia Caye (just across the harbor from Placencia). You can rent a kayak and paddle over...do this in the early AM before the sea breeze kicks up because most of the bigger coral heads are in the windward side of the caye snd it can get a bit rough when the wind picks up. Dont swim over...strong curent and lots of boat traffic.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing and snorkeling

There are also some excellent snorkeling sites near Placencia, such as Lark Caye, buy you will need to book a boat for these.

25 miles north of...
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing and snorkeling

Yes I was talking about big game fishing but will be more than happy just to do any kind of fishing. Have not been to Belize before and I have never gone fly fishing before but we are avid fishermen at home. Just like to get out on the water and catch a few fish. Snorkeling is the real reason we chose Belize for a holiday. I,m sure we will go on a fare amount of snorkel tours but are hoping we can do quite a bit of snorkeling from shore. The house we rented is beach front near the maya beach area.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,232 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing and snorkeling

I'm afraid you'll be really disappointed if you think going in you'll be able to do quite a bit of snorkeling from shore. There are very few places in Belize you can do that but none of them are on the mainland. We enjoyed Placencia for other reasons, though. Here's a link to our blog page. Happy trails!

…blogspot.com/2012/08/placencia.html

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing and snorkeling

Unfortunately not much to see in the waters directly off Maya Beach. There is excellent snorkeling around the cayes a few miles away such as Lark, Whippari, Bugle, Scipio...but you need a boat to get to these. I suggest working something out w a local in Maya Beach after you arrive.

There is one caye relatively close to shore in the Maya Beach area which might be a reasonable paddle for you depending upon your location. As I recall, it is called False Caye, should be pretty obvious to see from Google Earth and you can judge the distance for yourself.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing and snorkeling

You might check into spending a few nights at the lodge on Whippari Caye, it is a fishing lodge and there is superb snorkeling right off the shore...huge coral heads on the N side of the island.

25 miles north of...
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing and snorkeling

Well I don,t mind paying a bit to get to a snorkel spot. You are right I will have to work out something with one of the locals because we will probably want to snorkel 3or 4 times a week and will also want to go fishing once a week while we are there for a month. Any idea of costs for boat outings or boat taxi service in the area. There is a pier (dock) right in front of the house we rented on the sea side.

THANKS

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing and snorkeling

Don't you need to be a licensed tour guide to take people out snorkeling?

25 miles north of...
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishing and snorkeling

Don't know ----is that a law in Belize??? We have snorkelled in all kinds of places in different countries by ourselves and with hired locals and I don't recall ever thinking about whether they had to have a license or not.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fishing and snorkeling

Technically yes they do need to be liscenced for anything that qualifies as a "tour" and that definition is broad ... including snorkeling, but liscened guides are not hard to find...ask around Maya Beach and I expect you can find recommendations for someone up there rather then treking down to Placencia Village where most tour operators are based.