We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is Placencia Caye?

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
767 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Where is Placencia Caye?

I have just found a few images on the web of something called Placencia Caye. Where is it? The photos looked great - nice clear blue waters. I'm heading to Placencia village in a few weeks and just want to know if it's worth searching for Placencia Caye. Any ideas?

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is Placencia Caye?

Right off the pointe, close to mainland, but not for snorkelling. Cayes to snorkel from on or closer to the reef

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is Placencia Caye?

Directly across the harbor from Placencia village. No tourists facilities on Placencia Caye. There is some OK snorkeling on the windward side of the caye, but only viable in the early AM before the sea breeze, and thus the waves, kicks up.

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
767 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is Placencia Caye?

Thank you both for your advice. I'm glad it's not a very touristy spot.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is Placencia Caye?

Zero tourists on Placencia Caye.

It was an undeveloped caye until recent years. Now a canal has been dredged into it, docks built, lots subdivided and several private homes built. There used to be a bar there, Tranquilos, but it closed.

Most of the caye is still undeveloped, and restrictive covenants in theory keep it that way and prohibit commercial use except for the bar/resturant site.

It is an easy paddle from Placencia if you have access to a kayak when you are there. There are some coral heads and a good fish population around the old Tranquilo docks near the SW side of the caye...mostly between the docks and the mangroves.

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
767 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is Placencia Caye?

Wow, great tips. Thanks BZ Sailor! I'll surely rent a kayak at least once or twice to go there.

6. Re: Where is Placencia Caye?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2014, 06:18