We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which part of Plancencia?

Which Placencia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island City...
Level Contributor
435 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Which part of Plancencia?

Currently researching Placencia vacation rentals on vrbo and saw that it is broken down in to several different areas (Placencia Maya Beach, Placencia Village, Placencia Plantation, Placencia Peninsula and Placencia Seine Bight). Can someone please explain what the differences are between these areas and which area is best to stay?

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,753 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which part of Plancencia?

The Placencia peninsula is about 16 miles long. Look at a map www.placencia.com to get an idea where the villages of Placencia and Seine Bight area. Maya Beach is a few miles north of SB.

Edited: 26 November 2013, 12:24
Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
280 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which part of Plancencia?

Placnecia Village is at the south end of the Peninsula, this is usually where everything happens, good restaurants, bars, beaches and things to do. Seine Bight is 4 miles from Placencia Village and is a Gariguna community with very little development but lots of traditional drummings/Garifuna food like Hudut etc.

Maya Beach is the next Community, mostly retirees or Expats living there, a few hotels and restaurants - I like Maya Breeze Inn Beach bar and pool for a day out.

Plantation is the last point up north - nothing to do/see here as its only The Placencia Hotel, unfished huge buildings and a bunch of huge private homes. I would stay somewhere around the first 3 miles from the south. Miller's Landing is a lovely hidden Place if you are looking for places on a budget and Colibri House is also another favorite.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which part of Plancencia?

I'd stay in Placencia proper, so the south end. There is a wide selection of places to stay, from budget on up.

michigan
Level Contributor
278 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which part of Plancencia?

FYI the Placenciea.com website is down at this time. It is being

upgraded and will return soon.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,794 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which part of Plancencia?

If you want bars and like to party you go to the village which is at the south end of the peninsula.if you just want to relax, enjoy the beach and have some peace and quiet then go further north.

Livermore, Colorado
Level Contributor
40 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which part of Plancencia?

As someone else mentioned if you want to be more isolated then Maya Beach area is nice. But, if you like variety in restaurants and live music stick with the village. If there are only two of you I recommend a place my husband and I stayed. It's right on the beach and a five minute walk to everything. It's called Coconut Cottage and the owner, Kay Westby, is great to work with and it's very reasonable. It is only one room with bath, but has two double beds and a full kitchen.

Cedarburg
Level Contributor
24 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which part of Plancencia?

We stayed at Lazy Gecko/Tipsy Gecko (they are listed here if you are interested and I do recommend), which are two properties owned by Americans. It was a longish walk to the Plancenia Hotel, and about 20-25 minutes by golf cart to the village. We were about 10 minutes to the closest market. Personally, I liked the location a lot because we had a lot of privacy and were away from the village. Going to the village was a definite outing for us and something we looked forward to as a group.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which part of Plancencia?

We are staying at the tipsy gecko in April! Any tips/advise?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which part of Plancencia?

We stayed at the Sea spray hotel in the main town area. The beach is decent. Placencia is O.K. Pretty quiet. Great day trips from there. BUT if you plan a trip to the cayes . Don't use Night wynd tours. !!

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
435 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which part of Plancencia?

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'd like an oceanfront property which is why I was considering Maya a Beach Hotel or Laru Beya Beach Resort & Villas but both are quite far from the village. I'm still on the fence about renting a car and I don't understand why the golf cart rentals are nearly as much!