We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving

9 posts
Save Topic
Driving

We were considering driving to Belize. Is the trip through Mexico safe, mostly on Mexico 180 and 186?

Placencia
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving

I did it once last year, it was long an tiresome but never had any problems along the way. The wife back home was quite anxious and worried due to the crime situation in Mexico but all was fine. We are planning to do it together next time.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
76 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving

Driving through Mexico is much more complicated than just going through. I belive the route you picked would take you through Matamoras and the Mexico State of Tamaulipas. This is possibly the most dangerous border area. I would suggest crossing up river of Laredo. From reasearch, Eagle Pass is the safest and most reliable crossing in Texas.

You must acquire insurance to drive in Mexico as well.

Do no plan on stopping until Mexico city. While you definetly want to make sure your car is in good working order, don't drive anything too flashy that would draw attention. Only drive on the major highways and avoid driving at night.

If you take precautions, you'll be fine and you will really enjoy the scenery.

9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving

Thanks so much Roam and Holly. I will definitely take all your advice. I don't think we will go through Mexico City but we will find a populated lighted area to stop. Also I didn't know I needed additional insurance. Thanks again!

Placencia
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving

Yes Insurance and a temporary import permit for which you need to pay a deposit of:

$200usd if vehicle is 2000 or under

$300usd if vehicle year 2001 - 2006

$400usd if vehicle is 2007 or newer

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving

I've done it tons of times over the years, but not lately, although I have friends drive cars down to sell often. They say to not drive at night, like mentioned above. You'll need more insurance for every country you visit.

9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving

Ugh, expensive! But still much less than flying for four people.

7. Re: Driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 06:19