We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Placencia vs Hopkins

Eau Claire...
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Placencia vs Hopkins

Hopkins vs Placencia"

I am planning my first trip to Belize and am looking at these two places. I am looking for a relaxing beach vacation. Thoughts?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Placencia vs Hopkins

Not a whole lot going on in Hopkins outside where you stay.

Placencia village has quite a few options for dining drinking and shopping and generally hanging out in town

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,628 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Placencia vs Hopkins

We prefer Hopkins, though it is certainly quieter - more like a 'real' village than a place with lots of restaurants and stores in place for tourists. It's closer to mainland activities like the Cockscomb Jaguar Preserve, the Mayflower Bocawina waterfall hikes and zipline, inland Blue Hole, and Cayo Maya sites, and we are fascinated by the Garifuna culture - if you stay there don't miss an evening of Garifuna drumming at the Lebeha center.

The Hopkins Inn is pretty much perfect for us:

If you want nightlife and more restaurant choices, choose Placencia; it's closer for the Monkey River tour (which we enjoyed), too. We stayed at One World Rentals, great choice for us.

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails! flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Level Contributor
7,133 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Placencia vs Hopkins

You will have a relaxing beach vacation at either location. I don't know which one you would like better, but I liked Placencia better -- a bit more happening.

Visit both places if possible.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Placencia vs Hopkins

You can easily visit both. I prefer Placencia, but both are great.

5. Re: Placencia vs Hopkins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2015, 05:15